Banana Icing

Baking By Thea519 Updated 13 May 2012 , 10:27am by sweettreat101

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 10 May 2012 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone have a good recipe for banana icing (buttercream or other- it doesn't matter)? I did a google search and found one, but I have no idea how it'll turn out and I really don't have the time or resources to make a test batch. TIA!

12 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 May 2012 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 13

The Bakers Kitchen makes a banana icing fruit that is absolutely heavenly mixed into icing or cake batter. www.thebakerskitchen.net.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 11 May 2012 , 12:23am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

The Bakers Kitchen makes a banana icing fruit that is absolutely heavenly mixed into icing or cake batter. www.thebakerskitchen.net.

That link only brings me to the main page. Do you have a link directly to the recipe?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 May 2012 , 6:16am
post #4 of 13

You can get it by reducing banana liqueur. Or you can use it straight. I put it in IMBC and Cream cheese buttercreams.

Reduced banana liqueur has very little alcohol flavor.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 May 2012 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

That link only brings me to the main page. Do you have a link directly to the recipe?

It's not a recipe. It's an ingredient you add to your own buttercream icing. http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/icing_fruit.aspx Couldn't be easier!

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 11 May 2012 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 13

Hmm... That icing fruit thing is interesting. I need it for this weekend, so I won't order now, but maybe in the future. I'd love to try it out!

I think I'll try the reduction thing. I've done that before with orange liqueur, so I don't know why I didn't think of it for this!

Thanks!

katie1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie1214 Posted 11 May 2012 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 13

I mashed up about 3-4 ripe bananas and mixed it in to some left over SMBC - it was fantastic!

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 12 May 2012 , 12:44am
post #8 of 13

Katie 1214, Did the bananas turn dark or brown while in the buttercream? This sounds so delicious.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 May 2012 , 9:07am
post #9 of 13

The bananas getting old is why I don't use real bananas. For example, in my Bananas Foster Cupcakes, I use the banana in the cupcakes and make the Bananas Foster sauce exactly like Brennan's, but leave out the banana. I was surprised to find that the sauce tasted exactly the same without the bananas. The more you reduce it, the less it tastes of any alcohol. If you can taste a little, after about 12 hours, it will be gone.

katie1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie1214 Posted 12 May 2012 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 13

It was a light tan color but we ate them pretty quick - they definitely would have been more brown if they were for later. I wonder if using some lemon juice on them would keep them from turning brown? I know that works with apples.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 13 May 2012 , 1:18am
post #11 of 13

Adding the bananas to the SMBC sounds SOOOOO good!

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 13 May 2012 , 1:23am
post #12 of 13

There is Banana flavored syrup like the kind you would flavor coffee with. I use Torani syrups in BC and it adds great flavor ! thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 May 2012 , 10:27am
post #13 of 13

Probably to late but this is a wonderful recipe. I have a little boy who always orders chocolate cake with banana. Just substitute banana cream pudding for the vanilla. This recipe does require refrigeration and not good for extremely hot days but so good. It can also be easily altered into a sugar free frosting by using sugar free pudding and sugar free whipped topping. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whipped-cream-mousse-frosting/detail.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%