Pricing On Guitar Cake

Business By klamb17 Updated 9 May 2012 , 7:11pm by klamb17

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 9 May 2012 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 5

Hi~
I have a question about pricing on a guitar cake. I don't make to many cakes, maybe one cake per 2-3 months, but I have someone that wants a guitar. Wood finish and approx. 2 ft in length (total). I am a detailed person, and would like to add the cords and all. I have NO idea what to charge this person. I am looking at alot of work though.
I am using MMF and guessing there will be gumpaste used also. I may make a music sheet or two around the guitar. I was thinking around 125? I don't know if this is enough. I know the supplies would be at least 30-40 bucks, and I have to travel about 25-28 miles to the nearest bakery supply store.

A ball park figure would help me out. This is the part I hate the worst! I don't want to scare them off! but I don't want to get under paid.

Thanks alot for your help!

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 May 2012 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 5

How many hours do you estimate this cake will take you, including travel time to pick up specialty supplies, prep, baking, decorating, and cleanup?

klamb17 Posted 9 May 2012 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 5

wow, I have no idea how many hours. I am a slow worker, to picky, so by the hour probably wouldn't work for me lol.

I was just hoping someone would give a ball park figure of how much they would charge.

Thanks

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 May 2012 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 5

Without having at least a general idea of how long it will take it is impossible to narrow down pricing, unless you don't care about the money.

For example, let's say it takes you 30 hours to complete, supplies are $50, and overhead is $30. If you charge $125, you will be making $1.50 an hour with zero profit, so at that price it's not even worth taking the order.

Depending on the level of detail and where you are located I could see the price range being $500-1000 (double that if a commercial kitchen is required in your state). If the customer's budget is $125 I would recommend a sheet cake with a picture of a guitar on it.

klamb17 Posted 9 May 2012 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 5

wow...my jaw just dropped open....I never would have thought that much. I really want to be more firm with my price, guess I need the backbone to do it. If I had to say how many hours, I guess at least 24-28 hrs. I need to call around to some bakeries, which are at least 30 miles from me and ask some prices. In the area I am in, it's not to many who could afford a $500 cake.

But I definately see your points, and appreciate your advise. Thanks alot for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%