Help Please. How Soon Can I Ice And Fill A Frozen Cake.

Decorating By mcmom1962 Updated 8 May 2012 , 5:31pm by CWR41

mcmom1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcmom1962 Posted 8 May 2012 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 2

I am very new to cake decorating. My grandsons school is having Teacher appreciation week at school. They asked for dessert donations. I have only made 4 cakes since taking 3 Wilton classes. I thought it would be a good way for me to do my first tiered cake.
I got my dates messed up for two different events at his school this week. I just found out the cake is needed tomorrow and not Friday. I just took my cakes out of the freezer. They are very frozen. I made them over the weekend.

I need to fill them and then coat them to then be covered in fondant. I made Michele Fosters Updated Fondant in the chocolate version and dyed it black to look like a chalk board.

How soon can a frozen cake be iced and filled and then covered. Also each tier is 4 layers, if you want both a filling and an icing do you alternate the layers or can you put a small layer of jam filling then the icing?

Thanks for all the help icon_smile.gif
Sheila

1 reply
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 May 2012 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmom1962

How soon can a frozen cake be iced and filled and then covered.

After it's thawed. (It shouldn't take very long... less than an hour for a 14", about 30 minutes for an 8"???)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmom1962

Also each tier is 4 layers, if you want both a filling and an icing do you alternate the layers or can you put a small layer of jam filling then the icing?

With four layers, some people alternate so there's icing in the middle and filling on the top and bottom layer. Others will ice the cake top lightly with BC, then add a thin layer of filling on top of that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%