Need Help With Red Color

Decorating By ladij153 Updated 7 May 2012 , 5:02pm by ladij153

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:38am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone.

I need to know how to get a deep rose red color for gum paste red roses...these will be for my wedding cake and everything I have tried so far has given me a brick color....brownish red not the bluish cherry red I'm trying to get....I've tried Americolor Super Red....a super red that Earlene Moore recommended and various reds by Crystal Colors and Petal Dust....have tried mixing with a touch of black, tried purple and blue to combat the brown color but nothing works,,,,please...someone must be able to help on this?????

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who can help!!!

4 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 7 May 2012 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 5

Brown is made of several colors. I know some red and green is in there, probably some yellow?

To neutralize it you need to know what the predominant colors is and use its complement.

If trying to neutralize red, use green. If trying to neutralize yellow, use violet. A color wheel would be helpful here. I'm not very good at seeing what colors are in a color, if you know what I mean....but this is where I'd start.

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 7 May 2012 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 5

This video helped me...

- I know you said you tried Americolor, but maybe actually seeing it will help. Americolor Super Red is what I use and get a good color.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 5

Start with deep pink, add red (it's strange but the best shade of red for me is probably the good old Wilton one) and some claret and ruby. Makes great dark red. Brownish/orangey shades can be neutralized by blue (as you did), yellow by violet.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 7 May 2012 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you sooooo much ladies.....I will try your tips!

It's weird....the mixed gumpaste looks to be a ruby color but when it dries it's got brownish tones and when steamed it looks dark dark brownish red....and I was trying for a deep cherry color....will see what I can come up with after all your help...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%