How Do I Use Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By imrellik Updated 13 May 2012 , 6:29am by hollyml

imrellik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imrellik Posted 6 May 2012 , 9:47am
post #1 of 6

Hi

I mostly use little cornflour for rolling the fondant or marzipan to the required length what I want, as it becomes easy to roll the fondant or marzipan and then I apply egg white or sugar syrup onto the fondant or marzipan so that it sticks to the cake.

Then I use cornflour again on the top, edges and sides of the covered fondant or marzipan & rub it with my hands or smoother so that it becomes smooth as silk when you touch it and you feel like touching it again and again.

I have also seen some people using butter icing or ganache on the top and sides of the cake so that fondant or marzipan sticks to the cake.

Now I want to know from the people who use modeling chocolate onto their cake.
1.  What do you use to roll modeling chocolate? My mom says i should use coco powder for chocolate color modeling chocolate and milk powder to roll for white color modeling chocolate.
2.  Do you apply something on the modeling chocolate so that it sticks to the cake? If yes then what?

Ive not used modeling chocolate on the cakes thats why I have doubts and felt like I should ask other people who have the knowledge and experience of using modeling chocolate onto their cakes.

Thanks

5 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 6 May 2012 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 6

I use icing sugar (powdered sugar) to roll out modelling chocolate. When buffed, the oils in the chocolate will absorb any icing sugar which is left on it. I would use ganache on the cake to stick the modelling chocolate too. HTH

imrellik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imrellik Posted 7 May 2012 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the answering my question.

And do you use icing sugar again to rub onto the top and sides of the covered modeling chocolate to achieve smooth surface or you just use smoother onto the chocolate?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 6

Just use your smoother. If you buff the modelling chocolate with your hand afterwards the heat will create a smooth surface

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 6

I love using modeling chocolate. I only use MMF to cover cakes. For any figurines/decorations, I use modeling chocolate. It holds its shape well, hardens faster, and is delicious (I love chocolate).

Once I've made the mc I don't use anything to roll it out. If it gets too warm and sticky from handling it too much, I stick it in the fridge for a minute or two and keep working with it. I do this even if I'm rolling it or using it in a pasta machine.

If it's a bc cake, I stick it right on the bc. If it's laying flat on the side of a MMF cake I add a dot of bc. If it's not laying flat, I use a dot of royal icing where it touches (see my unicorn cake, the mane is mc and each strand only touches on two points).

HTH

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 13 May 2012 , 6:29am
post #6 of 6

When I roll it modeling chocolate out like fondant -- generally for cutouts, rather than for covering a whole cake -- I usually roll it between two pieces of waxed paper. Unlike fondant, I don't need anything powdered to keep it from sticking while rolling it out.

Yes, you'll need buttercream or a bit of syrup or something to make it stick to the cake. The same sorts of things you use with fondant should work with the mc.

Holly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%