Hi Hats With Smbc?

Baking By PinkLotus Updated 7 May 2012 , 1:14am by PinkLotus

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 6 May 2012 , 12:09am
post #1 of 8

I'm going to attempt to make Hi Hats for the first time tomorrow. I'm going to use this recipe (it's a Martha Stewart recipe that Bakerella used for her Hi Hats - to be honest, I'm a bit nervous, I've had bad luck with Martha recipes in the past):
http://www.marthastewart.com/258067/hi-hat-cupcakes

However, I've recently discovered SMBC and how awesome it is, and I'm wondering if anyone has made hi hats using that before. Does it work? Or does it need to be a lighter icing on the cupcake for it to work?
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks icon_smile.gif

7 replies
krae0057 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krae0057 Posted 6 May 2012 , 2:29am
post #2 of 8

I made that exact recipe (the frosting, not the cupcakes) and had no problems with it. I'm not sure if I would use SMBC just because each cupcake gets a lot of frosting PLUS is dipped in chocolate, so I'm not sure if that would be too heavy (taste wise). But, if you like lots of frosting, you certainly could use it.

If you're worried about the Martha recipe, you could always make swiss meringue (follow your SMBC recipe but don't add butter at the end). That would give you a very similar frosting to what she uses in that recipe.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 May 2012 , 7:00am
post #3 of 8

IMBC and SMBC will melt when they hit the warm chocolate.

PinkLotus Posted 6 May 2012 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the replies! krae0057, that's a really good idea. I think I'm going to give Martha's recipe a go, though, I made the cupcakes last night and they turned out amazing, so I'm feeling more confident.
Thanks scp, for some reason I hadn't considered that! That would have been awful.

vpJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 6 May 2012 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks vpJane, that'll be good to know for next time icon_smile.gif I love SMBC and want to put it on everything, so next time I'll try the hi hats with it.
I made Martha's icing recipe and I didn't like it. Even though I followed instructions exactly, and it came to a temp of 160, there was still a gritty, sugary texture to it. The flavor was great, but I didn't like the texture. (It seems like a lot of sugar compared to the egg whites - 1 and 3/4 cups sugar, but only 3 egg whites. But it works for other people, so it must have been something I did).
So I followed krae0057's advice and basically made the SMBC I usually make, stopping before putting the butter in. They turned out perfect. icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the advice everyone!

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 6 May 2012 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLotus

Thanks vpJane, that'll be good to know for next time icon_smile.gif I love SMBC and want to put it on everything, so next time I'll try the hi hats with it.
I made Martha's icing recipe and I didn't like it. Even though I followed instructions exactly, and it came to a temp of 160, there was still a gritty, sugary texture to it. The flavor was great, but I didn't like the texture. (It seems like a lot of sugar compared to the egg whites - 1 and 3/4 cups sugar, but only 3 egg whites. But it works for other people, so it must have been something I did).
So I followed krae0057's advice and basically made the SMBC I usually make, stopping before putting the butter in. They turned out perfect. icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I would love to try these but haven't made SMBC before. Not sure why icon_confused.gif would you please share your recipe and instructions how you altered the recipe so you could dip in choc. You can Pm if you want . You know the choc shell that ice cream is dipped in ? Would this recipe hold up to something like a quick dip of warm choc and then pop in freezer? I wonder??? icon_smile.gif

thanks , Wendy

PinkLotus Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:14am
post #8 of 8

Sure Wendy!
Take 4 egg whites and 1 cup of sugar. Whisk lightly in a double boiler (or in a bowl on top of a pot of simmering water - but make sure the bowl doesn't actually touch the water) until the sugar is dissolved (temp on a candy thermometer should be 140-160 F). Once the sugar is dissolved, beat on high speed until you have stiff (very stiff) peaks. Then add 1-2 tsp vanilla and voila! Done! If you want to make SMBC, once you have the stiff peaks, add in 1 and 1/4 cup of butter (you can put it all in at once, or a Tbs or so at a time) and beat on low speed until it's all combined.
I'm not sure if the ice cream chocolate would work, it might be too thick...but you could definitely give it a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%