This May Be A Dumb Question But......tapered Tiers??

Decorating By CarolLee Updated 7 May 2012 , 1:27pm by soozicake

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 5 May 2012 , 12:37am
post #1 of 4

Ok...Are these cake tiers done with special pans?? Because I can't find them anywhere! I've looked! Is there a tutorial?? Are they done "free hand"? Help Me!!!

3 replies
cubbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubbycakes Posted 5 May 2012 , 1:29am
post #2 of 4

Pretty sure they are just carved

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 May 2012 , 1:40am
post #3 of 4

I've just done one myself

This is a 6" tapered to 4" and 8" tapered to 6". I started with 3 layers of 8" cake (each layer 1" high) and stacked them (without filling). I then placed a 6" cake round in the middle (make sure it is dead centre otherwise it'll look like a topsy turvy) and carved from the edge of the 6" cake card to the edge of the 8" cake. The easiest way to carve is with a serrated knife held vertically on an angle so the tip is where the 8" cake edge is with the handle lining up with the board. When you flip it over it will be tapered.

I iced the cakes with ganache using the upside down method.


soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 4

Depending on sizes required, I cook my cakes in pyrex measuring jugs which are a tapered shape. I find them great for multi-use - measuring, mixing, cooking. Very useful if you don't ming the $ outlay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%