Can You Salvage Cupcakes When The Wrappers Have Come Off?

Baking By GrkAthena82 Updated 7 May 2012 , 5:57pm by kimmisue2009

GrkAthena82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrkAthena82 Posted 4 May 2012 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all,

I know a lot of people have run into an issue with cupcake wrappers coming off. Can these cupcakes be salvaged? I have a mother/daughter event on Sunday where I will have a cupcake booth. I only ran into an issue with one recipe where almost all the mini wrappers have come off and some of the large ones too. Some have completely come undone and others are only partially peeling away.

Is there any way to still use these cupcakes even though the wrappers are messed up? Any suggestions? I'd rebake them, but I honestly think it's the recipe, as I made other flavors this week and didn't run into any problems. I also don't think I have time to rebake! Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Athena

9 replies
GrkAthena82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrkAthena82 Posted 4 May 2012 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 10

Anyone??

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 4 May 2012 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 10

I'm sorry, I've never heard of a way to salvage these, I just use them for cake balls and plan on making extras.

If they're not too bad sometimes you can slip them into a second liner -

I have found that putting cupcakes in an air-tight container (plastic) will cause the cupcake liners to come off, they need to breathe to release moisture so put them in cardboard boxes for storage or leave the lid on a plastic container ajar so they breathe.

Perhaps someone else here will have another suggestion for you.

HTH

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 4 May 2012 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 10

yeah unless you can present them out of their wrapper - on a nice plate/ serving tray?

or you could work into the design of wrapping the cupcakes in fondant? like say the idea of a "teacup" looking cupcake or a "flower pot" themed cupcake?

Something like that?

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 4 May 2012 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 10

You could get some clear plastic cups with covers. I think the 5 oz ones are the ones that a single cupcake fits into perfectly. Just unwrap them, slip them in the cup and frost. Then attach a plastic spoon or fork and you have a cake cup instead of a cupcake. Market it as the mess free way to eat a cupcake or cupcakes to go!

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 4 May 2012 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi55033

You could get some clear plastic cups with covers. I think the 5 oz ones are the ones that a single cupcake fits into perfectly. Just unwrap them, slip them in the cup and frost. Then attach a plastic spoon or fork and you have a cake cup instead of a cupcake. Market it as the mess free way to eat a cupcake or cupcakes to go!

There you go!

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 4 May 2012 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi55033

There you go!

Love it! If they are mini cupcakes maybe you can find a plastic cup that will accommodate 2-3 of them - stacked parfait style with frosting in between.

cubbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubbycakes Posted 4 May 2012 , 11:09pm
post #8 of 10

you can definitely salvage them. It has happened to me plenty of times. All i do is pull the wrapper off and sit them in a new wrapper before ice them. The best ones to put them into would be greaseproofones or ones that will hold there shape. its pointless putting them back into paper ones from my experience (which is admittedly limited)

MandaMatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaMatt Posted 7 May 2012 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 10

Maybe make them in to ice cream cupcakes? Take them out the paper case and put them inside the ice cream cone (the ones that stand up think they're called cups or something) Then just ice over the top

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 7 May 2012 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 10

You can absolutely salvage them. Just ice them and put them on a tray. I had this happen to four out of six dozen just last weekend. Right about the time I was going to post how amazingly beautiful the wrappers from Kitchen Kraft did - they did not fade one iota in the oven. Baked on a Friday. Let them cool completely and put them into Tupperware containers, uniced, for Saturday. Opened the containers and only 20-24 of the wrappers were still intact. Luckily, it was a party for a one-year-old, and we had plenty of trays for them, so no harm, no foul.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%