Cake Price

Business By cadonnellan Updated 14 Sep 2005 , 3:44pm by twindees

cadonnellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadonnellan Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 9

Hope I can get some feedback on just a quick question about pricing. I just spoke with a couple last night about making their wedding cake and they've already decided they want me, but I'm nervous now about the price I gave them. They're telling me the invite is about 125, so roughly a cake for 100 so I told them $200. Now I think I charged too little, but don't want to revise, plus my husband works with the groom so I don't want to be picky. It's been a year since I did my last wedding cake, and this couple was at that wedding and loved that cake so they came to me. I need to buy some pillars since I am very new to wedding cakes (this will #3) so there is more added to the cost for me. Any advise?

8 replies
cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 9

I start my prices at about 2.00 per slice. So you are a little low. And that is for a very basic simple design. A way to figure if you are not comfortable with pricing you could always figure out what it costs you and charge 3x that.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 9

That would make the cake about $2 a serving.. I'm not sure where you live .. where I live, the going rate is about $1.50 a serving which is what I charge. If there is a lot of detail, or they want anything other than icing flowers, the price goes up accordingly. I compensate myself for going to pick up the flowers, etc too...

as far as you're having to purchase pillars, etc., I don't charge for that because you get to keep that afterwards... I chalk mine up to an "investment"

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 9

tell them that your quote was a per serving estimate, based on a discounted price because your husband works with the groom, and that now that you know that there will be pillars involved (vs. a simple stacked construction) that there is a small premium for those, as you need to purchase new ones for their cake.

i would definitely review the design and flavour/filling expectations of the couple before giving them a final price. the best way to approach any changes in price is to finalize all the details at one meeting if possible, make your calculations, and present them with the revised price, so there isn't any back-and-forth afterwards.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 9

I am now getting $3.00 per person for basic cake flavors & buttercream. Deluxe cake flavors & frostings & fillings are .25 extra per person.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:51am
post #6 of 9

I have to agree with ntertayneme on this. It depends on where you live. My price is $1.40 a slice for a basic cake, and I still get people who's eyes about fall out of their heads. I wouldn't charge for the pillars either, that is investing in your inventory.

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 9

note: my suggestion to charge slightly more because of the pillared construction is because it's more complex than a simple stacked construction, and this "new information" is a opportunity to revisit both the design expectations for the cake, and also an appropriate price for the finalized cake plan. also, there is a chance that the pillars might not be returned.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 9

Yes, anything you feel is more difficult, you should charge a little more for. I actually only go up in only $.15 increments, but that is just because of where I live. I have heard of a few people charging a usage type fee for pillars and plates. Their argument has to do with the wear and tear on the items and their eventually wearing out. I just don't do it because I feel that is just part of the deal. And the pillars and plates might not be returned, so deffinately get a deposit for their full value. thumbs_up.gif

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 9

I agree with SweetArt. I think the Pillars and such is part of the deal. It is nice if you get them back but know you might not get them back. $2.00 a slice is a good price but you need to add a little more to the over all price for things like pillars and such. I always calculate my per slice price and them add a little some thing. It depends on the filling, design, colors, ribbons, etc.

You should always give yourself a little room. I also never give a price on the first meeting. I might (but try not to) give an estimate, but I don't give the price until the second meeting. I like to meet with a client hear what they are looking for give my suggestions, let the couple sleep on it I sleep on it and we meet again or speak over the phone and I give a price. When I give a price up front I always feel like I under charge.

Just my 5 cents.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%