Question On Crisco??

Baking By Annie70 Updated 2 May 2012 , 4:10am by MacsMom

Annie70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie70 Posted 2 May 2012 , 2:39am
post #1 of 5

I have been reading that Crisco isn't made the same anymore less trans fats? I live in a rural area so what is another brand or what am I looking for to replace Crisco. I have a recipe that calls for 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco..thanks!!

4 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 2 May 2012 , 2:58am
post #2 of 5

Crisco has 0 trans fats. They changed it a couple of years ago. You'll be hard pressed to find shortening in the grocery store with trans fats. Your best bets for a shortening based BC are to either: 1) use IndyDebbie's recipe (on this site) that adds Dream Whip or to 2) order/buy from cake store hi-ratio shortening. (I love Alpine.) HTH!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:33am
post #3 of 5

When i make american b/c , i still use crisco, butter and i use whipping cream instead of milk or water. It is very good. It is the whipping cream that makes it taste so good. It crust. I use viva method to smooth. as i have always done. Lots of decorators on this site still use it. hth

grandma425 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandma425 Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:52am
post #4 of 5

A few years ago (2007) we noticed the frosting would not stay on the cake. After calling crisco company, they suggested we add a scant Tablespoon of Meringue Powder or scant 2 Tablespoon of corn starch. This works with our old time recipe we've used for family wedding and BD cakes that uses crisco shortening. We use 2 # p sugar with 2/3 cup shortening, 1/2 milk and flavoring. It also is good for our hot weather we sometimes have. hope this helps.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:10am
post #5 of 5

I don't have issues with it, but yes, using a little cornstarch and whipping cream makes great BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%