Which Icing To Use....fondant, Ri, Oh My?!?!?

Baking By rhesp1212 Updated 12 May 2012 , 9:27am by toleshed

rhesp1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhesp1212 Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 9

I've been doing cakes for a long time, but am new to cookies.

I like the idea of using fondant on cookies because I think it's easier to deal with and faster! I tried the rolled buttercream fondant, and I am not real fond of the texture or flavor of it or something. I guess I'm used to that really sweet RI that is usually on sugar cookies. Is there a way for me to get that SWEET top without using RI?

Another question......Can I do a RI flooded base, and put fondant on top of it? Will it have any sort of effect on the RI, or fondant? For example, I have to do a train sillouhette cookie. Rectangular shaped cookie with a white background and train sillouhette on it. My plan was to cut out the train with fondant using my cricut cake. Can I combine the two without a problem?

Thanks so much!
Valerie icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 9

Yes!
I usually use a homemade fondant ( wiltons recipe) or MMF and use royal over top. I use the wilton royal recipe and have never had a problem. Works with the royal flooding and fondant decorations on top as well.

I did try a rolled buttercream and found when i packaged my cookies it seemed to make the cello bags look greasy. But I don't think it affected the royal.

rhesp1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhesp1212 Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 9

Awesome!! Thanks so much....I think I'm going to make some MMF, I don't like the rolled buttercream fondant at all. It is greasy looking, I agree!

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 8 May 2012 , 12:22am
post #4 of 9

I love using fondant. Its fun to use and easy. But I always feel like I'm "cheating". I'm not good at Royal Icing and every time I try, I swear I'm not going to do it again. But I read somewhere that people only use fondant because they don't know how to do cookies with Royal. So I keep trying.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 8 May 2012 , 1:03am
post #5 of 9

I don't know, i don't think its cheating, I like the taste of fondant on a cookie. I usually make my own and I love the smell of fondant.
I like it when I'm short on time and don't want to wait for royal to dry and sometimes its great for extra details you can't get from royal.

sundowng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundowng Posted 12 May 2012 , 12:52am
post #6 of 9

I use my own form of rolled buttercream fondant that is kind of an all-purpose recipe. With the right consistency, it can be used to flood, pipe details, or as a fondant, just based on the amount of powdered sugar. It's not greasy like other rolled buttercream, but it can be a little tempermental. I like it because it tastes like buttercream, which is my favorite on cookies. It does work best when it's warm, though. Its only ingredients are butter and milk (boiled together), flavorings and powdered sugar. I did the cookies below with this kind of fondant. It might get you that sweet taste that you're looking for.

toleshed Posted 12 May 2012 , 1:07am
post #7 of 9

I tried buttercream once and I had a terrible time rolling it. But I loved the taste of it. would you mind sharing amounts of ingredients?

sundowng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundowng Posted 12 May 2012 , 3:46am
post #8 of 9

To tell you the truth, I never measure, and this is just a method I developed myself. I usually start with about 1/4 c. butter/margarine and maybe 1/4 c. milk. I bring that just to a boil in a sauce pot. Then I add flavorings (I like almond and vanilla) and color if I'm using all one color. Then I add powdered sugar until it becomes a ball of dough. It's not as hard as playdough, but it won't slide through your fingers when you pick up the ball. If you need elasticity in your fondant, add 1-2 tsp. of corn syrup. Otherwise, I find the easiest way to use this fondant is to take a small ball of it, set it on the cookie itself, roll it out to cover, and then use the cookie cutter on the cookie/fondant to clean up the edges. Otherwise, you can roll it out on parchment paper, and use a cake server to move it. It takes a few times to get the hang of it, but when you do, it goes really fast. I like it because it's not greasy like rolled buttercream, and I think it tastes more like real buttercream. If it starts getting hard or cracking more, sometimes kneading it is enough to soften it up. Otherwise, I tend to put it back in the pot for a few seconds to warm up again (or the microwave), and if needed add a touch more milk. I think this is something I should make a youtube video for. I do classes and those who try it, tend to really like it, but it's hard to explain in writing. icon_smile.gif

toleshed Posted 12 May 2012 , 9:27am
post #9 of 9

thanks so much sundowng. Can't wait to try it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%