Zebra Cake

Decorating By grama_j Updated 26 Apr 2012 , 11:15pm by theresaf

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 5

I don't know how many of you have made a zebra cake, but all the recipes I have come across are from scratch, and I usually use a mix....... the cake is done in a 9" round pan...... you use a white batter, and take half of it and tint it black or brown...... You make a 'puddle' of white, using about a 1/4 cup each time. You then pour the black mix right into the center of the white one you just poured.... you just keep alternating until the cake reaches the outside of the pan.....The whole thing is STRIPED...... really cute !...... NOW, for my question.....I want to make a TIGER cake out of orange and chocolate mixes..... does anyone know if this would work ? I know some mixes cook faster or raise higher than others......can I use the two mixes, or should I just dye the orange brown ?

4 replies
theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 5

I've made the zebra cake inside both black and white and pink and white. If you are using mixes, use the same brand/same type. Skip the ones that say pudding in the middle. You can use an orange flavoring in a white cake or vanilla cake and then tint it orange as well. I personally prefer the french vanilla type because you don't have to separate the egg whites and some days faster is WAY better! And I add a teaspoon of espresso powder to my chocolate mixes to deepen the flavor of the chocolate mix. Good luck. A striped cake is fun!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for your prompt response ! I usually use Duncan Heinz, and I have a box of both , so I guess I'll do a trial run and see what happens....... THANKS again...

theresaf Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 5

You're welcome! And its always a matter of timing on the responses, isn't it! BTW your cakes are beautiful. And your graduation cake gives me a great idea for my niece.
Thanks
Theresa

theresaf Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 5

You're welcome! And its always a matter of timing on the responses, isn't it! BTW your cakes are beautiful. And your graduation cake gives me a great idea for my niece.
Thanks
Theresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%