Cake Tastings

Business By 61999 Updated 23 Apr 2012 , 3:27pm by j92383

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 7

I am organizing myself to start making custom cakes and wedding amenities. In Florida we have the cottage food law so I'll be doing it from home. However, I don't want to invite strangers to my house for tasting or consultations. I would appreciate advice and opinions on how to handle colsultations & tastings - where, how many to taste, charge or not charge, etc. Thank you!

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 3:09am
post #2 of 7

I'd use a Panera or Starbucks to meet poeple and talk to them about design, cost etc, then give them a box of samples to take home. I don't charge for tastings but some people do.

Breezy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Breezy09 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 7

I always use a Starbucks for meeting with clients. Good atmosphere and there always seems to be one close by to my clients.

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 7

I used to have them come to my house, but lately I have been doing "to go tastings" where I put together a nice cake board with different fillings and cakes for them to mix and match. I print out the flavors using an attractive font so they know what they are tasting. I then either meet them at the door when they pick it up or deliver it to them. I don't charge for this if their order will be over 100 servings.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 7

Not to change the subject, but where did you find the information for the cottage food law in Florida? I have been trying to find it.
Thanks.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 7

I've generally used Starbucks or I've had a few people meet me at my church to do the tastings. I've actually gotten to where I prefer the church because then I don't have to worry about interrupting the business in Starbucks. Not to mention, I can spread out if needed and it's fairly quiet.

I usually ask the client what flavors of cake they'd like to taste, max is 5. So far, I haven't been charging for tastings, but I may change that. I also try to limit the people at the tasting to the bride, groom, and maybe 2 other people. That prevents them from bringing the entire wedding party to the cake tasting.

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 7

Dinacakes here's the link to the florida cottage law info that you were looking for http://desoto.ifas.ufl.edu/pdf/CottageFoodAdvisory.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%