Problem With Friends And Business...

Business By WestCoastGirl Updated 23 Apr 2012 , 1:27am by CupcakeQT82

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 4:44am
post #31 of 33

Yep no friend a parasite . You have invested lots of time and money . She wants to reap the benefits of your work .

tell her you dont have time to teach and you are trying to make a profit and dont have room for a partner. Nice way to say NO. Do NOT lead her on by saying ......not now. that implies later you may change your mind.

You can point her in the direction of classes or internet videos. Im a hobbiest . Im on here everyday trying to soak up information. So when I retire from my FT job maybe just maybe I will sell cakes. But first I will take a safe serve class . Also some accounting and business classes .
But why do people think they can go into the cake business without a recipe and think they can serve 200 or more people on the first order.
What about the bride with the 260 guests . Why would she hire someone who has never sold a cake?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 8:25pm
post #32 of 33

I always say that I am too much of a control freak to partner with anyone, and that I have to succeed or fail on my own merits. End of story.

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 1:27am
post #33 of 33

I had a similar situation although much more brief. A friend of mine asked me to help her make her son's hockey bday cake after being at my daughter's bday party and seeing the cake I made for her. She has dabbled in cake decorating and likes it but is so beginner I don't even know how she has dabbled. Well, I said yes, she comes over with two sheet cakes that are completely unlevel and still in the pans. I ended up practically making the entire cake myself as she wanted to learn "fondant tricks" but never had even colored fondant before. So, long story short, my kitchen got trashed, I spent over 5 hours on a Saturday, and ended up making her son's entire cake only to have a friend of hers on facebook comment on the cake pics "XXXXX makes the best cakes!" This was obviously not me she was referring to. Yet, the cake was definitely nowhere near the level I would have wanted to sell it for, so then of course I didn't necessarily want to say it was my cake. Ugh! Last time I offer to do that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%