Pearls....again....

Decorating By Jealena Updated 14 Jan 2013 , 5:06pm by jclvs2

Jealena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jealena Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I am going to use a silcone mold to make strands of pearls to go around the bottom of each layer to hide the ribbon edge. I want to put individual pearls scattered above the ribbon, so can you just cut the pearls to separate so they are identical to the strands in both size and color? Or is there a better way to do this to get individual pearls? Looking for quickest, easiest way to do this???
Also how far in advance can I make these strands since I would like to get everything ready ahead of time? I don't know how they dry and be able to put them around the layer??? Thanks for the info....

7 replies
aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 8

IMO it's going to be rather hard to make the pearl strands ahead of time since fondant dries and you need to be able to wrap it around the cake. Also, as far as the sizing for the individual pearls, I don't think you can just cut the strand into individual pearls and them be the same size. Most pearl molds that I've seen are only half of the pearl so that it lays flush against the cake. If you want fully round pearls, you may have to hand roll them.

Jealena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jealena Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks aggiechef! Those were my thoughts as well and was hoping someone had a different way to do this. My mold is also flat on one side... Hate to decorate and make all the same time. I have to travel an hour with the cake and wanted to do a lot of the deco ahead of time....oh well..

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 8

You could make the pearls ahead of time and let them dry on the side of the pan to get the same curve as the finished cake. Then bring the molds and fondant with you in case it doesn't work out well and you need to redo it all on the fly. It will probably work and save you a lot of grief and time.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 8

I've made pearls ahead before. Just put them in a plastic baggie and they will not dry as fast. Just keep them flat because they will break...but you can piece them together if you have to.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 8

there are molds that make the pearl as a whole, not just half the pearl. You can get them on Global Sugar. Not sure of the maker right now, as I am not in the kitchen. PM me if you need the name

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 12:06am
post #7 of 8

I have made the pearl strings in advance and froze them before they could dry. Just let defrost of a few minutes and they'll be good as freshly made. You might want to run a test ahead so you'll feel comfortable...

jclvs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jclvs2 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 8

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering can you just roll out each piece of fondant into a pearl and make them ahead of time and then place around as your border once dried ?  will it look funny? or will the fondant be to hard for people to eat?  Also after you roll the fondant out should I use the luster dust then or should i wait for the fondant to dry? Thanks for any tips. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%