Customer Frustration!!!

Business By SheliaRenee Updated 15 Apr 2012 , 8:55am by scp1127

SheliaRenee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheliaRenee Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:11am
post #1 of 11

I am extremely frustrated today! I had a lady ask me this afternoon to do a cake for her for tomorrow morning and I told her that I was unable to because it was short notice and I had plans with my family today since I finished up my cake orders yesterday. She messages me a few hours later on Facebook and says that she is unable to find a cake anywhere and if I would please just do a simple sheet cake with a basketball on top. I really felt bad for her since the lady she got to do her special order cake cancelled on her this morning. So being the nice person that I am, I told her I would do a medium sized sheet cake with a 3d basketball on top for $35 and a $5 delivery fee. Which I think is very reasonably priced. So, I cancelled my plans with my family and went to get the supplies that I needed and while I was in the middle of picking up ssupplies she messages me and says I don't think I will need you to make me a cake that it is way over priced!! I was furious! I messaged her back and said I am sorry you feel that way, but I believe it was priced fair considering it would have a 3d basketball and a lot of piping work. I also said there is no way you can find a cake like that at any bakery for that price on such short notice. I am still very mad. I believe that is a great price. In fact I have people that tell me my prices may be too cheap. For now, I will stick to that price! I really wanted to tell her to just kiss my ass, but that is not good for business! I feel much better after this rant!!!!

10 replies
nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:35am
post #2 of 11

OMG!!! I am soooo sorry!!! That is beyond awful!!! And yes, 35 dollars is dirt cheap, especially on such short notice!!!!! I would rant right with ya but what I would say would probably get deleted!!! : tapedshut.gif

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:36am
post #3 of 11

let it out, sister. better you should rant and vent here amongst friends than to kick the dog. I share your anger that she took your time from your family. It's cold comfort that she is without a cake but that's her choice and certainly not do to the pricing of your cakes (I agree that your pricing is too low...I'm in a cash strapped area and even here they would pay twice that for a custom cake and add a surcharge for last minute service!) Just remember that for everyone of those sorry arsed cheapskates there are a thousand more wonderful people ho love your cakes and are willing to pay a proper price for them.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:37am
post #4 of 11

Wow, I'm so sorry! I'm glad she cancelled before you had gone through and made the cake! I don't know how big your "medium" sheet cake is, but are you even making money with $35? That doesn't even sound like it covers your supplies/ingredients!

SheliaRenee Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:45am
post #5 of 11

Thanks eveyone! I'm glad you all understand. I know it is too cheap, but i was just doing her a favor. The size I was doing was small not medium. It is 9x13. I had all of the supplies I needed since I buy in bulk, the only thing I needed was orange color gel and a box, I was in Hobby Lobby with the supplies in my hand when I received the message. I just put everything back on the shelf and stormed out of the store. My husband was happy that I was't doing it. We were still unable to continue with our plans of camping with our boys. So hopefully we can do that next weekend. I hate that I chose to help a customer over my family, but the lesson is learned!

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:51am
post #6 of 11

Sheila, you were going to help someone out, and no good deed goes unnoticed! A better customer is an order away!! Something good will come of this because you were so kind!! icon_biggrin.gif OK, my Hallmark moment is over!! LOL But really, caking is way more fun then camping!! icon_lol.gif (Hugs)

SheliaRenee Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 4:05am
post #7 of 11

Aw, thank you! And yes caking is way more fun!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 5:26am
post #8 of 11

I'm in the same boat you were in only my customer asked me on fb to make another treasure chest cake and she wanted it on Tuesday.
Well it take a day of hitting three stores for the supplies, a day of fondant work, I make the chocolate icing four days in advance because it gets better as it sits and a day of baking before I even start making that kind of cake.
Well, today is my birthday so I'm not spending it shopping for a her.
We are going out of town in the morning so I can't do anything on Sunday.
That left just Monday to do about three days of work.
Sorry, lady...that is not going to happen.

It's the first cake I've ever turned down, but I don't feel the least bit guilty.

Hope this experience gives you the strength to just say NO when it is not convient to make a cake.

mommachris

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 5:58am
post #9 of 11

Sorry for your disappointment, but all you have to do in the future is demand payment in full, in cash, before you start baking.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 7:44am
post #10 of 11

Aside from the fact that your "supplies" are FAR more than just the things you needed and didn't already have.... and the fact that you would likely make $5 profit on that cake for a few hours work... if you require payment up front, you know the order is serious enough to proceed with.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 8:55am
post #11 of 11

I'm with Apti and KoryAK. I think some very nice bakers just want to help everyone and they sometimes aren't met with the same respect.

Yep, cash up front separates the inquiries from the serious buyers. I always end my phone and emails with telling them that all they have to do is pay the invoice or order from the site and I'll get right on it.

Another thing you all may benefit from is a calendar of availability on your site. When you need to be off, just put it on the calendar and refer to it when people call. I turn down plenty of orders when they back up on a particular day. I also have my daughters' prom day, graduations, and college visits marked as no deliveries that day.

Put your family and personal time first until the money is in hand. And never apologize for your prices. You aren't so much being paid to bake, but being paid to stay away from your family in some cases.

Also, a quick ballpark price in the same sentence as the description of the cake will save you and the client time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%