Ever Tried Making Modeling Chocolate And Ended Up With......

Sugar Work By doramoreno62 Updated 19 Apr 2012 , 6:21pm by doramoreno62

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:55am
post #1 of 7

Ever tried making modeling chocolate and ended up with a goopy, oily or gritty mess? Well I have and I just ended up tossing it out. Today I came across this recipe on Ehow.com and it worked wonderfully. It was smooth and not too oily (just a tiny bit). And you only have to let it rest an hour or until it's hard enough to mold. It's your basic recipe except that you heat the corn syrup. This will be my go to recipe for modeling chocolate from now on!

8 oz chocolate (I used candy melts because thats what I had on hand)
3 1/2 oz of corn syrup (I used light corn syrup)
plastic wrap
Instructions
1 Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. To create a double boiler, fill the saucepan with water, bring it to a boil, turn off the heat, and rest the bowl on the inside rim of the saucepan, just above the height of the water. This ensures the chocolate does not get overheated.

2 Cool the melted chocolate until it feels cool, but is fluid

3 Heat the corn syrup until it just starts to boil.

4 Add the heated corn syrup to the melted chocolate and mix with a rubber spatula until it forms a smooth paste.

5 Wrap the mixture in plastic wrap and refrigerate.

6 Allow the modeling chocolate to firm and chill all the way through. This may take up to an hour.

7 Remove the modeling chocolate from the refrigerator and knead until it becomes soft and pliable.

8 Shape into logs for easy storage. Store wrapped and refrigerated.

ENJOY!!

6 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 7

This looks interesting. I cover my cakes in modeling chocolate instead of fondant because of the taste. I make my own and it always looks gritty and oily until it's kneaded enough. I've only had 1 batch that hit the trash before it had even cooled down and that was because of the coloring I used.

I think I'll try this - - thanks for posting it.

thumbs_up.gif

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 7

I will definitely try this!! I have thrown out many batches and it gets expensive. I was considering trying the cake store brand, hoping it would save time.
Has anyone bought the pre-made modeling chocolate and used it? I'm wondering if it's worth the extra cost with less frustration. But I will try this first...thanks!

doramoreno62 Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 12:47am
post #4 of 7

Jgifford, no kneading required until after its refrigerated, and only to soften it. When I combined the 2 ingredients, it stirred together beautifully. It ended up like thick cake batter.
Kello, if you do try the cake store brand, let me know how it works out. Thanks!
*****IMPORTANT******
Once the chocolate was cold, it was hard. but after I kneaded it and it came to room temp, it got a bit soft. I would add only 3oz of corn syrup instead of 3 1/2 oz

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 7:56am
post #5 of 7

I wish I knew an alternative for corn syrup icon_sad.gif I cant find that in South Africa icon_sad.gif

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 8:38am
post #6 of 7

Tails - in Australia it's called glucose syrup. Perhaps it's sold as that in SA too... just a thought.
Cris.

doramoreno62 Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 7

I googled Alternative to corn syrup, and this is what I got. I haven't tried this but it just may work. If you do try it, please post your results!

LIGHT CORN SYRUP SUBSTITUTE

2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. water
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Dash of salt

Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage. Stir often.

Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will keep for about 2 months. Makes almost 2 cups.

Or you could simply substitute it with golden syrup (Substitute measure for measure) OR honey (This is sweeter than corn syrup, but substitute it measure for measure.) OR molasses (Substitute measure for measure.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%