Brims On A Ball Cap Cake

Decorating By Joni1962 Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 5:54pm by cathyscakes

Joni1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joni1962 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 4

I have 10 ball cap cakes I have to make by April 17th. The cake tops are made, frosted, and frozen. About 1 week ago I made the brims all of fondant, placed on actual cap brims. When I was checking on them-most of them broke. They were over 1/8 in thick, but not 1/4 inch. So I remade all of them thinner. (They collasped in the center as when I picked them up the weight caved them in.) Now all the new brims are thinner. I have studied several tutorials on making these and have Confetti Cakes. She used gumpaste, but others have used fondant. I originally had plastic wrap under the brim, but slid a piece of paper over that. This is a very formal occasion I am making these for. Could someone give me any suggestions about the actual brims? I have thought about after I attach these to place some wax paper under them. They are sooo fragile. I want the people that receive these to be able to get home with them without the brim breaking . Any suggestions for brim support? Thanks for you help.

3 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 4

What kind of boards are you putting them on?

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 4

You might want to try and add a little tylose to the fondant. I noticed that one of the things it does for me is that the fondant pieces are not as fragil. For this reason I don't use gumpaste.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 4

I have never had one break before, so not sure what is going on. I also use fondant with tylose powder added, they dry alot faster. If you let them dry long enough they don't cave in. I would dry the brim on something that had the right shape for the size I used a wine bottle, etc. I'm no expert at this, but have made about 4 baseball caps, My problems have been attaching them to the cap in a natural way, having the brim hold its shape, but still a little pliable to attach to the hat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%