Gum Paste Flowers--What Kinds Are These?

Decorating By victorialovescake Updated 8 Apr 2012 , 8:06pm by icer101

victorialovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victorialovescake Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone!

One of my friends is getting married & asked me to do her cake. I'm not an expert or anything, but she sent me this photo of a cake she really liked. It's stone cold gorgeous; however, I'm really not sure what kinds of flowers are in this other than the roses and orchids, especially the small ones that are sort of cascading out of the top. If anyone can tell me what they are--and even better, where I could buy the types of cutters or a tutorial on how to make them I would SO very much appreciate it, because I've got just about 2 months to figure it out.

Scrollwork--I think it is from a Wilton set, but there is one long scroll in there I'm not sure of.

Thanks for taking the time to read--any feedback appreciated!!


6 replies
Vexys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vexys Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 7

Wish I could be more help... the small ones looked similar to a bleeding heart at a glance but they're different.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 7

It's really hard to get a clear view of the little flowers you are referring to....but the little round ones are a bud of some sort, and the flowers could be sweet peas or maybe a hydrangea blossom used individually instead of in a cluster. In any case any small filler flower such as a 5 or 6 petal blossom, Stephanotis, Sweet Peas, Hydrangea blossom, etc would work and I I wouldn't think the difference would even be can get cutters and veiners at
or to name just a couple of places...

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 7

Could they possibly be lilac that hasn't bloomed?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 7

Those are just a generic filler flower and buds made on wires. Looks like the flowers are made with the mexican hat method, so they wouldn't be hard. You could do just about any kind of little blossom filler and it would look the same.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 7

It's also entirely possible that those are just store-bought flowers that have been airbrushed. Based on how the ones I can get a decent look at appear, I'd guess they were just purchased, not made. I could be wrong, but if you're not fast at making gumpaste you could just buy them here

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 7

Hi, i think they are similiar to these. These would be gorgeous anyway and it is showing you how. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%