Cake Samples????

Business By vwolf Updated 7 Apr 2012 , 4:11am by scp1127

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 5

I am just wondering how others handle this. I have a home baking license. Everything I do is made to order. Recently I have had requests from people for samples. They are looking to buy 3-4 dozen cupcakes or a 10 inch round cake, something of that nature. I do cake consultations for wedding cakes. I just don't feel it is cost effective for small orders. How is the best way to respond to this without offending potential customers. TIA

4 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 5

"I offer free tastings/consultations for orders over 100 servings. If you would like a sample for a smaller order, you are welcome to purchase a small cake/cupcakes. My order minimum is $60."

I also have a home cake business and there is no way I would offer a free tasting for less than 100 servings or without enough prior notice that I can work the samples in with another order. Those samples are also going to be whatever I am already baking, a "bakers' choice" sample.

If I have an order for close to 100 (say 80-90), I will make an exception and allow the person to come by to pick up 1-2 cupcakes to taste, but only for a wedding.

There are many helpful threads on here regarding tastings. Reading through them will give you tons of valuable info (and keep you busy for hours).

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 5

My policy is the same as Full House. If it is less than 100 servings the tasting and consultation fee is $25. Recently I started offering to go tasting boxes of 6 cupcakes, my choice of flavors for $12...we'll see how it goes

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your replies. My cake tastings are also free for wedding cakes of 100 servings or more. Maybe I will offer a sample box of my choice of flavors for a small fee. That seems like a could idea.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 4:11am
post #5 of 5

All of mine are made to order also. If the event is far enough out, I make a little bit extra of an order that is similar and they can pick it up. Usually it is a few cupcakes or 1/4 of a 6" cake.

Now I have a local restaurant retailing my cupcakes in a bakery display. I can direct them to the restaurant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%