Freezing Extra Cake Batter

Decorating By cdmolina83 Updated 23 Apr 2012 , 4:34pm by buckeyebelle

cdmolina83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdmolina83 Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 7

So I am wondering if you can freeze cake batter even though it has sour cream in it. I know the consistency of sour cream changes if you freeze it. Has anyone done this? If so, how? Did it turn out ok when you used it again? Thanks in Advance!

6 replies
SweetP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetP Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 7

I just tried using frozen batter this week. I used a strawberry batter that has sour cream in it. I froze it last week as a test. It came out fine. I also refrigerated chocolate cake batter that had sour cream in it and it baked up fine, as well.

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 7

I believe when you combine the sour cream into your batter it alters the consistancy so it can be frozen. I freeze my extra WASC and Chocolate WASC all the time with no ill affects!

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 7

Couldn't believe this when I first read on it on one of the forums. Since I don't bake in volume, I often have leftover batter. I just put it in a freezer container, freeze, thaw in the fridge and use. Bakes up just like when first mixed. Yay!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, you should have no problems if sour cream is an ingredient mixed in with other foods. The same thing happens with cheesecake batters. Freezing and thawing cream cheese results in a texture change but when it's in a batter it thaws with no problem.

cdmolina83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdmolina83 Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 7

Awesome! Thank you all so much! I had to make a dozen mini cupcakes and had so much batter left! I thought about just baking them up but they were a special request flavor so I figured I would be better off freezing it for now. I learn something new everyday on here! Love it!

buckeyebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckeyebelle Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 7

How long will the batter last in the freezer, ie how many days, weeks, months?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%