Help Please To The Nj Bakers...

Business By CiNoRi Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 11:37pm by SugarplumStudio

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 3

I posted yesterday concerning my recent move to the PA/ NJ area... we are pressed to find a new home over the next few weeks... originally we were looking to just PA, but are now considering NJ as well.

The issue is I have a home-based cake business, i know it is legal in PA, not in NJ ...The question is, what If we find a home with a separate building on the property - to be the kitchen/ work area... is THIS legal?

If or if not do you have any advice on the matter? Unfortunately our move has kinda hit us MUCH faster than originally figured so i'm scrambling and still trying to look & keep in mind of what is ahead!

I'm just trying to keep my options open for when I am able to get back to work! icon_wink.gif
Thanks for your help!

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 3

If you build out the separate structure to meet all relevant health codes so it can pass inspection you should be OK. I would contact the health dept in the county you plan on moving to so they can confirm.

Note that you would also need to be compliant with municipal zoning laws, if you area is zoned residential you may need an exception before you can operate a bakery on your property.

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 3

This may or may not be helpful, but just throwing in mympennies worth.
Since you're considering PA and NJ, assuming it's the greater Philadelphia region, the answer is an emphatic no, unfortunately. Pp was right. Municipal zonic laws are a bigger hurdle.
None of the townships within Mercer, Burlington, Camden or Gloucester counties in NJ will allow an out building on residential property for food related business,, even if it's dual zoned. I live in Camden County, my property is on a highway, zoned commercial and residential and the county said no. FWIW, there is a currently a Cottage Food Law bill on the NJ senate floor. It may or may not change anything. The township can still deny the zoning.

You'll have much better luck in PA if you are looking in the Phila region. Phila, Chester, Montgomery and Bucks counties all support home based food businesses. I know someone in each county with a home cake business in residential areas.

I moved from Bucks Co, PA to southern NJ 10 years ago. In PA, my home was licensed, inspected, the works. All I did was move less than 20 miles across the river and can't have any of it. No sour grapes, though. I work in the industry professionally (no cake speakeasy here) so there was no significant impact on me anyway, but it would be nice to have the option.

Quote by @%username% on %date%