Has Anyone Ever Flown With A Cake?

Decorating By bikemom3 Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 5:09am by Wildgirl

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 12:53am
post #1 of 6

Hi all!
I'm planning on flying to Florida to surprise my dad for his birthday. I'd like to bring him a small decorated cake but I'm not sure if it's possible.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

5 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 1:21am
post #2 of 6

Yes, they will let you bring a cake carry-on as long as it can fit in the bin or under the seat. They will just want to xray it. Make sure you have more tape for the box in case they want to open it and see too, but they didn't do that to me.

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 1:57am
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much for the info!!!!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 2:33am
post #4 of 6

I haven't flown with a cake, but I have gone on a cruise with one. Same thing, they just want to make sure it isn't harboring any weapons and you are good to go.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 3:35am
post #5 of 6

I fly with cakes all of the time.

Yep, just make sure that it will fit in the overhead bin or under the seat. I set the box up so that I can easily remove the top if the TSA people want to look at it.

I've never had a problem. The agents and FAs all joke about an E-A-T search and ask lots of questions. I play along.

I've always told my DH, though, that if they give me any flak, it doesn't stay with them--it gets thrown away by me--LOL.

Rae

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 5:09am
post #6 of 6

I have, but I wasn't brave enough to decorate it first. I froze it and set it back in a pan to protect it from being smushed - then put it in my carry on. I brought all my decorating stuff with and did it in our motel room (which thankfully had a kitchen).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%