Gourmet Cookie Size

Baking By sweetjustice Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 5:00pm by imagenthatnj

sweetjustice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjustice Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 7

Anyone know if there is an average size for gourmet cookies?

Thank you in advance.

6 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 7

What's a gourmet cookie?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 6:27am
post #3 of 7

Do you mean a cookie meant as a single serving item? My chocolate chip cookies are 4", but others that are taller are less in width. Just try to determine what size in a particular recipe will be one serving for the average person. I just bake one on each cookie sheet in different sizes until one just looks right. I have marked the parchment with the exact size of the serving so that I know how to duplicate it.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:10am
post #4 of 7

My gourmet macarons are 40mm wide and about 30mm tall when sandwiched together with ganache.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 11:14am
post #5 of 7

Greetings sweetjustice! The word "gourmet" refers to perceived quality of a product, So a "gourmet" cookie can be any size.

For making large cookies, I agree with Susan (scp1127), the size is up to you. I use a #20 (approx 3 tablespoons) yellow ice cream scoop for some recipes and a #12 (1/3 cup) green for others. The #12 scoop makes a very large cookie.

The scoops (sometimes called dishers) are used for consistency and portion control. These can be purchased in restaurant or bakery supply stores. The cheaper scoops found in WalMart or Target, etc, tend to break.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 7

Mimi, what brand scoop are you using? I have one that I use but it has no number. I filled it with water one day so I know it's two tablespoons, but it's not numbered. I'd like to get a set of them for variation. I hate rolling stuff into balls, so a scoop makes things less painful, LOL.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 7

http://www.jeansrestaurantsupply.com/Search.aspx?k=disher

I sent you some table of capacities, too. But these are the scoops and numbers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%