BatterBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterBabe Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 6

How long can frozen butter be kept?

5 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 6

I've had my butter frozen for months in my basement chest freezer. Never had any trouble with it. It is expensive here so when it goes on sale I really stock up. So they can sit in the freezer for months before I get to them. I have never had an issue with frozen butter. I thaw it in the fridge over night then bring it to room temperature usually. But in a pinch I have taken out frozen butter and left it on the counter to thaw all night. It was perfect. No problem. I wouldn't worry about it. HTH Take Care

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, butter can be frozen for months with no ill effects. I, too, buy when on sale and store in a chest freezer that keeps a constant -10 degrees F.

BatterBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterBabe Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your response! Kroger has Land O'Lakes butter on sale for $1.99 and I would love to stock up on it. I didn't know if I could keep it for baking that I would be doing around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 6

I freeze butter when I get it on sale. I put the boxes in a 2 gallon ziploc bag in the freezer.

It usually has an expiration date of at least 6 months out, often over 9 months. Once frozen, you've essentially stopped time and if you've got it in a ziploc, or even well wrapped in some saran, you've probably got at least a year before it's an issue.

Rae

AMACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMACakes Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 6

I keep mine for months and months in the freezer. Like the other posters, I wait for a good sale and stock up. Until I started being more serious about caking I hadn't really realized how much the cost of some ingredients have gone up. Now I either buy in bulk or I stock up when it's on sale. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%