Fruit Filling

Decorating By ateague Updated 29 Mar 2012 , 2:21am by Marianna46

ateague Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ateague Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 3

I have been asked to make a chocolate cake with raspberry filling. Since I only make a few cakes a year, I have never done a fruit filling, and so I have some questions.

First, do you just put the fruit filling on top of the cake? Or do you have to put a thin layer of buttercream or a syrup on the cake? I know I should use a dam around the outer rim of cake to contain the filling. But was curious how to keep the filling from just soaking into the cake...or does that even happen?

Second, do most of you use a recipe with berries, or is it easier and just as tasty to use a bottle of jam & a bit of jello (I read that somewhere)?

Thanks for your advice!
-Amy

2 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 1:56am
post #2 of 3

Hi,

Yes, you should apply a small layer of icing onto your cake before adding the fruit filling.

FYI: If I'm using a sleeve filling (which i love, taste great too), I don't add a layer of icing because there is no soaking involved. But, I do use a dam icon_smile.gif

Yes, fruit fillings cake soak your cake but, I think it happens with REAL fruit fillings more that others.

I have yet to try the bottled jams but, I hear they are quite tasty icon_smile.gif

HTH

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 2:21am
post #3 of 3

I agree with you, msthang. The sleeve fillings don't soak into the cake, but fresh fruit fillings sometimes do. For these, I've resorted to putting a thin layer of buttercream under the filling and on the bottom of the next layer up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%