Friday Night Cake Club 3/23/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 24 Mar 2012 , 4:25pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 3:43am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone! OPening up another session of the FNCC! Late tonight because our son was in the District Finals of the Pinewood Derby! He placed 5th which is amazing since there were 54 other kids there. We are SO happy!

I had a lot this week, will break it down in my next post. Whatcha all doin' tonight?

Cat

7 replies
catlharper Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 4:31am
post #2 of 8

Long week for me this week. I had 3 cakes for our Cubscout Packs Blue & Gold dinner...total of 150 servings for that. Then I had a wedding cake to do, 3 tier Black & White. I will, at some point, get the photos in to my albums. I finished the wedding cake last night really late because our younger daughter and her family were coming this morning for the Derby and we had Event work to get done while she was here. They just left for home again so I'm just being able to settle down and post.

Hope everyone had a good week too!

Cat

catlharper Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 6:01am
post #3 of 8

Well, looks like I was the only one on tonight. If you log on after I post this please do leave an update on you and your projects and I'll get it in the morning!

Night ya'll!

Cat

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 6:02am
post #4 of 8

Man that was a lot to get done.

I'm working on a baby shower cake. It is pretty much a replica of the horse themed bday cake a did a few years back. Customer is supplying the horses. I'm just taking a break from piping the grass.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 6:30am
post #5 of 8

I figured this night was going too well... I'm making a 2 tier cake for an event scheduled for this evening. I just made a perfect batch of SMBC, seriously, I bypassed the whole "soupy" stage and went to smooth in like 2 minutes. Anyways, I figured I would add some white chocolate to a small portion of the icing to make my dams for a bit more structure.

I measured and melted 2 oz Nestle choc chips (that's all I've got now and I only needed TWO ounces), allowed it to cool completely, and then added 6 oz SMBC. Um, WHY in the world did this stupid chocolate go completely nuts and seize like a *breathe*

So now I'm staring at my perfectly silky SMBC impregnated with chunks of madness.

Thankfully I didn't add the chocolate to the entire batch or I would be having a seizure myself LOL. SO, what did I do wrong, and how do I fix this? Besides informing my friends, "The buttercream is chunky by design, chocolate chips. Get it? Chips?"

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 6:58am
post #6 of 8

I finished a Lakers themed cake earlier today and delivered it. Then I started late on making some italian BC and star toppers for 3 dozen cupcakes. I'm all done now. Just have to place the toppers on tomorrow.

Nite nite everyone!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 9:46am
post #7 of 8

All's well that ends well icon_smile.gif

catlharper Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 8

Sadly I don't know a thing about SMBC to help you out but yes, you could always say it's by design! LOL! Chocolate is always so tempermental!

This past week was monumentally busy but now I have a week where all I'm working on is the nonedible pieces for the next two cakes. I'm going to have to learn how to make a hibiscus for a bridal shower cake and then I'm making a little giraffe for my grandson's 1st birthday cake. Now THAT will be a busy week...not only do I have a family cake to make, two tier and a smash cake, for the family dinner but also 100 decorated cupcakes for the actual birthday party. Then it all has to be transported 150 miles away.

April is always a busy month for me because our son's b'day is at the end of the month. I'm going to try to make an Angry Birds cake for that. If anyone has made one that has the "logs" out of RKT and has tips for me please let me know??? I'm not making the actual figures...he wants to use a keychain set we found so he can give the keychains out as favors after the party...but am making the background cake including the little "rock" and "logs" section like the game. I have never had to work with RKT before so any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

thanx!
Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%