What Is The Best Fondant?

Decorating By krsrepullo Updated 20 Mar 2012 , 5:54am by BooperBaker78

krsrepullo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krsrepullo Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 7

I'm have been searching for the best findant for a decent price. I have made MMF which is ok but not what I'm looking for. I gave been using wiltons findant but it just tastes gross. I would really like to buy 5 to 10 lbs at time. Please let me know what you buy and where you buy it. The costs for what you get etc.

6 replies
paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 7

I think this is a matter of personal opinion. I like to use Satin Ice, but sometimes, I will mix it with the Wilton, as I like how it's more "forgiveable", but the Satin Ice will make it taste better. I buy mine from either sweetwise.com or globalsugarart.com in the 20lb tubs. I recently purchased "Easy Ice" from McCalls, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 7

I like both SatinIce and PettinIce. And I do mix them with Wilton to lessen the overall price.

merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 12:20am
post #4 of 7

My favorite is Massa Grischuna from Albert Uster Swiss Imports $$$
works beautifully, rolls out nice & thin.....taste good too. $61.00 for 13.2 lbs.

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 2:12am
post #5 of 7

Caljava.com is having a sale on FONDX right now.

savannah8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannah8 Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 4:36am
post #6 of 7

I usually make the Wilton recipe,and add cream soda flavour., Then I add 8oz of Satin Ice, it works out
cheaper than using brought fondant only...

BooperBaker78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooperBaker78 Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 5:54am
post #7 of 7

I haven't found a premade fondant that I (nor my customers) am happy with the taste in comparison to my homemade fondant. Its the only fondant my customers have told me that they LOVE... and actually do not peel off of the cake.
Yes, it is MMF. But it is by far my favorite in the flavor and texture catagories.

13 oz. mini marshmellows (please note that store brands are often discolored)
1/2 cup Crisco
3 TB water
Melt together in microwave for, no longer than 1 min and 30 seconds.
Stir by hand, and Mix very well!!

Add: 1 tsp of (pure) vanilla
1/2 tsp butter flavoring
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp popcorn salt

(if you want pure white fondant, use clear extracts)

Mix well.
Slowly add 1 pound of 10X powdered sugar, mixing well.
Spray surface with cooking spray, lay out mixture onto surface, gradually adding 1 more pound of powdered sugar. Knead for about 2 minutes.
Wrap well in plastic wrap overnight... do not refrigerate.

(If fondant becomes a little hard, just put in microwave for 10 second intervals... until soft.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%