Question On Getting Legal

Business By shelbycompany Updated 17 Mar 2012 , 5:47am by scp1127

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hello. I have been thinking about becoming legal for quite some time now. Well....I think I'm ready. My husband works in a gelato cafe which serves a full blown lunch menu. The owners are willing to let me rent their kitchen on their off hours. I know that to advertise myself and business name that I need to get a business license. Since I would be like a sub contractor or something for them, Do I need anything in addition to my business license like liability insurance or anything or can I just use theirs. They are saying that I can use theirs because I will be using their kitchen but I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Any input and advice is greatly appreciated. Also, I am in South Carolina if that makes a difference.


3 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 4

Unless you have an agreement with the cafe' owners to bake strictly for them, I can't imagine that they would cover you under their insurance. You definitely need to have your own.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 4

And worst case scenario - if someone does get sick from something you made, the cafe owners would likely back away and say "sue her, not us!"

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 5:47am
post #4 of 4

This is something to take up with the insurance company and they are probably not going to add liability with no extra money.

In most areas, you can't just use a kitchen. You have to have your own HD license, food safety certification, business license and sales tax license. And your own insurance policy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%