Buttercream Nightmare

Baking By Rubsters Updated 12 Mar 2012 , 6:38pm by Rubsters

Rubsters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rubsters Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 4

Help.... I am new to the baking world and I have attempted to make homemade classic vanilla buttercream . Each time it has came out lumpy and tasteless....yuk.... Any ideas on what I can be doing wrong.... This is the recipe I have tried....a disappointment both times icon_sad.gif

2 sticks butter, room temperature
8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 4

I have used this recipe before. I whip my butter all by itself first until it's fluffy and a very light yellow, sometimes this takes 3-5 minutes depending on the temp of the butter. Then I add in the vanilla, mix until it's incorporated, then I add the sugar and "milk" ( I use heavy cream ) alternately and whip until fluffy.

socosweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socosweets Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 4

I use an all butter recipe with the same amount of butter but no where near that amount of powdered sugar or milk. I also beat my butter for a few minutes before adding my salt and powdered sugar. Then when looks like crumbs I add my heavy cream and vanilla and beat on high until its light and fluffy. Also I would suggest increasing the amount of vanilla. I use 1tbsp of vanilla in my buttercream and I use less sugar and heavy cream than your recipe so that could be the reason for the bland taste possibly.

Rubsters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rubsters Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you folks for the suggestions.... I will definitely try it. We'll see what happens.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%