Gold Decorations, Paint Let Dry Apply Or Apply Then Paint?

Decorating By CakeDesigns Updated 8 Mar 2012 , 2:13pm by CakeDesigns

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 4

Please help. I've read a lot of the threads about painting fondant metallic. I know how to do it, either airbrush and by mixing dust with vodka. The question is: do I paint the fondant decoration gold, let dry a few days and then apply to the side of the cake or do I make the decoration, apply to the side of the cake and then paint?

In the past I've painted right on the cake but it was just a few decorations. I've also had the problem of painting outside of the decoration right on the buttercream. I'm doing a 4 tier cake with gold decorations on all 4 tiers. It's going to take forever.

What is the best way to do this?

Thank you so very much!

3 replies
SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 5:35am
post #2 of 4

I would definitely apply then paint. If you paint then apply, there's a chance you can smudge the paint if it's not completely dry, or get your fingerprints on it.

You do need a steady hand to paint while it's on the cake though. So it's completely up to you and how comfortable you feel. Either way it will take forever if you plan on doing a lot of pieces.

HTH and good luck!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 5:59am
post #3 of 4

I agree with sweetpea, but what I do is take a brush with a slanted edge and paint a gold border on the pieces first, then apply and then fill in the rest. The border helps me from getting any color (in your case gold) on the buttercream or fondant.

HTH

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much. I'll try that. Wish me luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%