Ganache !!!

Baking By jem2131 Updated 6 Mar 2012 , 12:57am by FullHouse

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:39am
post #1 of 14

Hi all !! So ive been making ganache with nestle chocolate chips.. Ive realized that this may be the wrong type of chocolate to use..My ganache never seems to set !!! Can anyone tell me where and what type of chocolate to buy ? Is there a website online where i can purchase in bulk and what types of brands of chocolate would you suggest.. Hope you guys can help me out.. thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

13 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:55am
post #2 of 14

What ratio of chocolate to cream are you using? Chocolate chips should definitely set.

jem2131 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 4:27am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

What ratio of chocolate to cream are you using? Chocolate chips should definitely set.

I've used the 2:1 ratio for dark chocolate and 3:1 for white chocolate

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 4:50am
post #4 of 14

Hi Jem-

I was having the same problem- make sure you are measuring your ingrediants- that makes the biggest difference- if for some reason that still isn't working up your chocolate a little at a time- could be altitude, humidity etc. I have a feeling it is the measurment though

Mo

mcaulir Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:00am
post #5 of 14

I find I need to use more than 2:1 for dark chocolate in warm weather. More like 1.5:1

I normally use about 1.1kg of chocolate and 300 or 350ml of cream.

kelskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelskakes Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:14am
post #6 of 14

I have used Nestle before and it was OK (both dark and white). After everything is melted together and smooth - I stick it in the fridge overnight - and then let it come back up to room temp the next day before using it. I think there's something about that step makes it set correctly...hope that helps...:0)

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:16am
post #7 of 14

Yes, you are using the wrong type of chocolate. Chocolate chips have additives junk in them to actually prevent them from melting so they can hold their shape in high heat. You can force it (and a lot of people do), but save yourself the trouble since you already figured oout your chocolate isn't working like it should and get a courvature chocolate, which is chocolate that is meant for melting. It makes your life much easier when making ganache.

jem2131 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:20am
post #8 of 14

I've been measuring the chocolate and cream with a measuring cup... Can that be the problem ? Also to have my ganache setup how long does it have to stay out to set? thanks so much for the help everyone

jem2131 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:42am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelskakes

I have used Nestle before and it was OK (both dark and white). After everything is melted together and smooth - I stick it in the fridge overnight - and then let it come back up to room temp the next day before using it. I think there's something about that step makes it set correctly...hope that helps...:0)

I will try that extra step thank you !!!

jem2131 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:43am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Yes, you are using the wrong type of chocolate. Chocolate chips have additives junk in them to actually prevent them from melting so they can hold their shape in high heat. You can force it (and a lot of people do), but save yourself the trouble since you already figured oout your chocolate isn't working like it should and get a courvature chocolate, which is chocolate that is meant for melting. It makes your life much easier when making ganache.

Thank you for your suggestion.. I am going to look into another type of chocolate.. would you be able to suggest a website where i can buy courvature chocolate from.. thanks !!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 6:09am
post #12 of 14

I only have one instance where I use chips and that is in a recipe that stays somewhat soft. I usually try a recipe as written and this was one of Ina Garten's. I have been happy with every recipe of hers... sweet and savory. So when this cook, who usually advocates fine ingredients, got out a bag of Hershey's chips, I was intrigued. So I tried it. It was really good with the cake and I think what was different was the consistency. It remained soft, like a pudding. But that was perfect for the application. I actually used Callebaut chocolate for the cake and the two were really good together.

I have not always used couverture because I have to get that mail-order, but I always use it for coating. As FromScratch suggested, if it was readily available I would use it too.

What is available to me is Callebaut in blocks, Green and Black's in bars, and Guittard "chips". Occasionally I will use Ghirardelli if the recipe isn't using other fine ingredients. But all of these different recipes are priced accordingly. These differences in chocolate are why some cakes cost so much more than others.

Be careful with the Ghirardelli. Not all of it is actually chocolate. Those dipping bars in Sam's are chocolate flavor with no cocoa butter, only cocoa. I'm not sure about those big bags of chips either. I only use the bars that are about $10.00 lb.

mcaulir Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 6:24am
post #13 of 14

I measure my chocolate by weight and my cream by volume.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 12:57am
post #14 of 14

I measure choc. by weight and use the Nestle's without issue. Sets just fine.

Rylan has a good explanation of it: http://www.artandappetite.com/category/recipes/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%