Staggered Cake

Decorating By Bean123 Updated 2 Mar 2012 , 6:40pm by Confectionery416

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 4

how would I stack a cake so that its staggered? (so half the cake is hanging over etc for 3-4tiers) I hope his makes sense!

3 replies
Confectionery416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionery416 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 4

Hi! I know what you're talking about. Balance is key and supports! Each cake should be on its own cake board that is hidden, then only allow it to hang off a little bit so the center of gravity is still on the cake below. Provide dowel supports where necessary. I think the other part that makes these cakes look cool is that they are all nearly the same cake size (i.e. all 10" cakes).

Good luck!
Laura

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply!
what kind of board should each cake be on?

Confectionery416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionery416 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 4

If you want to 'hide' the board, then it should be a strudy, non-scalloped cake board (like a coated white wilton cake board). When icing the cake, you'll need to use two cake boards. It's kind of hard to describe in writing, but it's like this:

Lay down a cake board that is 2" wider than your cake (a 12" cake board for a 10" cake). THEN lay down a cake board that is the same size as your cake on top of the first board. Drive two rose nails through the bottom to hold the two boards in place as well as the cake. Start adding the cake as normal. Once it's fully iced, remove the nails and the cake board will slide off. Use a bent spatula to help you lift it and support with your other hand.

Hope that helps. I'm sure youtube will have some visual tutorials for you!
Laura

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%