Edible Cake Markers Or Pens For Cartoon Lines On Dr. Seuss

Decorating By kmc116 Updated 31 Mar 2012 , 2:45pm by all4cake

kmc116 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmc116 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 2:30am
post #1 of 5

I am planning on making a Dr. Seuss cake at the end of the month and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get those black lines on the fondant pieces to make it look like cartoon drawing, or wrinkle lines in the hat.

I'm guessing people used edible markers but I never seem to have luck with them (at least the Wilton brand). Does anyone have a brand that they recommend? Or is there a better way to do this? (black piping gel hand painted on?)

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 5:42am
post #2 of 5

I have and use the KopyKake food markers. They have two different tip sizes on them (one on each end). I got mine on Amazon...

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 6:01am
post #3 of 5

For lines like that I use Black Food coloring with a little vodka or clear extract. They come out much darker and more consistant.

kmc116 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmc116 Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif I bought the Kopy Kat pens and they worked great! I also used the food coloring/vodka tip for another cake (hand "painting" leopard print)

Thanks again for your help!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 5

I used a thin brush and airbrush color...straight...no dilution. Changed up the brush thickness for the details on the coordinating cookies. A wide brush, snipped and thinned a bit worked well for those areas with more 'shading'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%