Why Are My Cupcake Liners Pulling Away From My Cupcakes?

Baking By jhill3691 Updated 30 Jun 2014 , 2:30pm by thischickbakes

jhill3691 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhill3691 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 2:00am
post #1 of 23

I bought these great looking cupcake liners which advertised that no cupcake pan was needed. However, I did use a cupcake pan. After baking and cooling about half of the cupcake liners pulled away from the cupcake. What happened?

22 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 7:32am
post #2 of 23

You are going to get twenty different reasons with the same amount of solutions. So I have concluded that it is a personal issue.

In my case, the cheap ones with the pretty designs were the problem. I bake from scratch and my recipes tend to be rather moist. Now I use quality greaseproof liners in brown parchment and I never have the problem.

Were you using the Reynold's? These are also ones that always work for me (in the pan). So if they were, I don't know.

Once you get a few answers, you can choose the one that more closely resembles your issue and hopefully prevent the problem.

jena2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jena2727 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 23

I just had this happen, I think it depends on the ingredients in relation to the type of liner. I did a Key Lime cupcake in a parchment liner. I did mini's and standard, two different brands of liners but both parchment. The next day using the same batter (refrigerated overnight) I purchased paper liners from Wal-Mart and had no issues.... If it is a specific recipe you are having a problem with, try using a liner made from a different medium!! Hope it works out for you!

jillfriend83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillfriend83 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 23

I know exactly what the problem is. I too was lured by the pretty designs and "no need for pan" feature. $100 says the brand of liners is Cupcake Creations. I spent so much time baking cupcakes for my niece only to have the liners come off using this new brand. This brand is the problem. Avoid them and ask the retailer to take them off the shelf. I have never had a problem with any other brand, even cheap ones.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 23

I had this happen recently with the same old liners I always use (and which never give me a problem). The cake batter was a lot more moist than the one I usually use, though, so I figure that was it.

scp1127 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 5:00am
post #6 of 23

I always thought it was my recipes being too moist, but today I found out differently. Today a bunch of 11th grade girls came over to use my kitchen for a bake sale. They baked 240 box mix cupcakes in Wilton and other lower priced liners, including Cupcake Creations. Many of them pulled away a little. So again, I have no clue now.

HeidiCakesUtah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCakesUtah Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 1:31am
post #7 of 23

I had this happen too and found out it was because I was leaving the cupcakes in the pan too long to cool. I now take them right out and do not have the problem.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 1:34am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiCakesUtah

I had this happen too and found out it was because I was leaving the cupcakes in the pan too long to cool. I now take them right out and do not have the problem.

I did this and my cupcake liners still pulled away.

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 23

I'm a hobby baker, but bake a lot of cupcakes. The only problems with liners I have ever had are with the Cupcake Creations. I won't use them again.

Vonda

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 23

This is also a huge problem for me. I have tried all different kinds of papers using my usual vanilla and chocolate recipes and they all pull away especially the vanilla. I also tried the cupcake creations (paying three times as much) and they were the worst, it was horrible mess.
I have not tried ordering online if anyone has any tried and true jpaper they use please let me know the brnad. I have a huge order coming up and need a sure bet.

scp1127 Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 8:09am
post #11 of 23

All of my recipes are very moist. I take them out of the pan right away and now and then it still happened. When I researched for my bakery, I tried many brands side-by-side. I didn't want this to happen when I bake the exact amount I need. My solution was the tulip cups. They are perfect for me. They are a little taller, never pull away, and are so pretty. I get them in bulk from The Baker's Kitchen, but she has small quantities too. I also use her regular and mini liners. All are in the brown parchment.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 23

I had this problem happen to me today. The ones In the cake creations liners separated and the "cheap" Wilton ones came out perfect. Not sure if I left them in the pan too long, next time I'll take them out pronto.

scp1127 Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 5:59am
post #13 of 23

I have a few recipes that are still too moist for even the most expensive greaseproof liners. Because they are rediculously moist, I leave them out, sometimes overnight, before frosting and especially before covering. This helps. On two recipes, I never close them up. I either keep a plastic cover slightly open or I store them in the cardboard bakery box.

When they do pull away, I take them all out and replace the liners with new ones. I only do this with personal ones or samples. For clients, I am very attentive and it doesn't happen.

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 1:46pm
post #14 of 23

I just tried the greasefree liners from charming creations, i got the ones that were slightly taller than regualr and used my vanilla cake recipe and they all still pulled away, now im completely frustrated. I have been following all the tips, I let the batter sit a few minutes in the liners before I baked, didnt leave them in the oven too long, I took them out of the pan right away and let them completely cool and after a couple hours they went in the cake boxes.

It may be my recipe but I would really hate to change it, I have not tried them with chocolate yet. This is driving my crazy, what do all those cupcakes shops use and cupcake wars, all the liners are perfectly attached to the cupcakes, its' got to be my recipes.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 23

I've posted about this before. I believe it is the pan. I made minis for an event, 1,000 of them. The ones that peeled away from the liner were made in the thin wilton mini cupcakes pans I bought at the last minute. The heavy duty, very heavy pans I bought from a wholesale place on line had none of the cupcakes peel away from the liner. I believe it is a heat factor. The heavy duty pan heats up faster,and is hotter longer after it comes out of the oven than the light weight ones resulting a longer cooling time out of the oven to give the cake a chance to slowly cool down and not SHRINK which is what causes it to release from the paper. This is the same result even after only 5 minutes in the pan after it comes out of the oven. It is either slowly cooling down, or even cooking for a few seconds longer, which does happen from the residual heat still in the pan.

Shrinking away from the liners can also happen when cupcakes are slightly underbaked. As they cool, they will shrink and peel away from the liner. We are talking seconds here and not minutes. After a year in business we are good at telling when cuppies need an extra 30 - 45 seconds, not minutes. It is a learning curve that takes a long time and lots of baking to learn. Good luck.

scp1127 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 7:46am
post #16 of 23

Can't be the pans for me. I use Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch.

Another factor we don't add... weather. I've noticed this, especially since I have been doing more work with confections. It can even affect my syrup for IMBC. I keep my ac on high when I have huge cupcake orders and keep the top off. The minis do seem to have more issues than the big ones.

I can control it, but it takes more work.

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 11:27am
post #17 of 23

I have used Wilton liners as well as Cupcake Creations. I have never had the problem except the last time I baked some and the only thing I did differently was put them in tupperware container (had to leave home) and they were not completely cooled. I have to assume this is what caused this. icon_biggrin.gif

tracymck7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracymck7 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 6:06pm
post #18 of 23

AHi Linda, Where did you find the heavy duty pans? I can't seem to find them anywhere! Thank you, Tracy

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 6:26pm
post #19 of 23

I would also love a reason, but don't really think there is a concrete one.  I have baked four dozen cupcakes from the same batter, in the same wrappers, and in the same oven and had anywhere from 0-3 from each pan pull away.  So anything I've tried to decide was the culprit never held up.  I decided it was punishment for past sins. :)

shaleha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaleha Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 9:14am
post #20 of 23

I thought we have to wait for the cakes to cool and remove it from the pan . I did that the liner still disintegrate. I doing vanilla cupcakes more of sponge texture . Not sure if its the mixture.

amyokayy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyokayy Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 9:27pm
post #21 of 23

This is crazy! This just happened to me and it never has before. I read your comment "$100 the brand is Cupcake Creations" and i looked at the packaging and IT IS! The person i was making cupcakes for gave me these cups. I will NEVER use them again. All my hard work just went out the window... great!

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 1:01am
post #22 of 23

I had the exact same issue tonight for the first time and I am making cupcakes for a wedding.  I was praising the Cupcake Creation liners last night because they don't fade and tonight when I opened the box to frost the cupcakes I was MORTIFIED that over half have the liners pulling away.  I am beside myself!

thischickbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thischickbakes Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 2:30pm
post #23 of 23

I've been baking professionally for over 12 years....this still happens to me periodically.  I think it's definitely a heat thing:  taking the cupcakes out before they're quite done, in the cheaper "home" version of cupcake pans, cooling too quickly tends to pull away more. Definitely a thinner paper liner is better bet.  We too, use the thin tulip liner and since switching to them have not had a problem.  Time to invest in some professional grade pans for home.  They are expensive but worth it.  And remember, if you find cute little liners that you simply must use but you know the cake will pull away, you can always use the thinner simple liner to bake in, then after they've cooled completely, pop them into the cute liner using a tiny drop of either royal icing, or a drop of Elmer's glue.  I know how frustrating this is....good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%