Mini Cakes Pricing

Business By rhina0723 Updated 26 Jan 2013 , 1:16am by Chellescakes

rhina0723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhina0723 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 25

I know there are lots of threads about pricing and I know that you'll say it depends on one's location, amount of time spent, delivery charges etc.

I have a friend who asked me to give her a quote for 10 mini cakes- she said it should be a bit bigger than cupcakes (though I told her it is too small for a give way, so we agreed it will be 5-inch ) , to be used as her give-aways for her daughter's pageant night supporters.

And so I said, they will be 5 inches round carrot cake, covered with fondant , ribbons, gumpaste flower/s and an initial at the middle, small cake boxes, etc.

I told her $5/ mini cake .

She said it was a bit too high for her and will think about it. I feel like I know I made the right pricing for that, considering she is my friend .

what do you think guys? did I over charge her? or it's just right? I live near Raleigh, NC.

24 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 25

$5 is just about covering expenses. By the time you figure boxes and boards fondant and that's beforeyou even count the cake ingredients

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 25

I do a lot of 4" mini cakes and I charge $7.50 for plain buttercream, $10.00 for fondant and $15.00 for really detailed. Sounds like yours are going to be of the "really detailed" persuasion.

You're undercharging. I think your friend wants custom cakes at cupcake prices. Let her price a cakelet at Cupcake Envy - - they start at $40 for 2 servings.

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 25

1. $5.00 is WAY too low.
2. Your friend thinks $5.00 is too much to spend on her daughter's pageant night supporters??

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 25

$5 is CRAZY LOW. That's a fancy cupcake price. Especially if you have to provide packaging. You should be in the $20-$30 each range. Small = expensive.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 25

When you look at the costs involved in making a mini cake, they aren't all that different from regular-sized cake.

The smallest cake we make is an 8" round and starts at $44, and if someone wanted one mini 5" cake the price would still be $44. With 10 mini-cakes you are beginning to realize some benefits from economies of scale so I would probably drop the price to the $30-35 range for a total of $300-350 for ten 5" cakes.

If $5 each is too expensive for your friend, it sounds like she will have to settle for cupcakes.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 25

Okay, 5" is not a mini cake. That is a cake, that would have regular cake serving prices. My mini cakes are 3" by 2 1/2". The cheapest I have done one is for $10 and it didn't have all the decorations you are talking about. I can't even see how $5 would cover your cost and time. You would be paying to make these cakes and her $5 would be just to help off set the cost. Also, do you have 5" cake rings or cake pan? I just ask, so you can see how really big 5" is for a mini cake.

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 25

I have to agree 5 inch is not a mini cake, it's a cake! $5.00 is not a a price for any cake. Your friend got a really really really good price and you are going to be kicking yourself and hating your friend when you are working on those things. With $50.00 for this order, you will be upside down in no time.

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 25

10 5" cakes for $50 icon_eek.gif Does she even realize how long that will take? You will definately not make anything on it and your friend saying that is too much is shocking....goodluck icon_biggrin.gif

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 25

Just so you know the 5" cake would start at $42.

rhina0723 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 12:17am
post #11 of 25

Wow guys ! i appreciate your comments !
now i dont feel guilty that i gave her that price (it's actually a friendly price or let's say it's priced for a friend).
the quote was like that because i wanted to do it for experience too and when people saw how pretty the mini cakes will be , then by word of mouth, im pretty sure ill get some clients.
and i guess my friend didnt realize that.

also, i dont understand why my friend didnt want to spend $5 for her daughter's supporters.

anyway, thanks a lot . your inputs are highly appreciated.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 6:51am
post #12 of 25

My 6 inch cakes are $30.00 and up. And that's with a homestyle frosting.

I do have one 6 inch cakes I do for $48.00. But it is one design only, I have colors on hand, and I have done them so much that It takes very little time, maybe 15 minutes total to decorate. So my cost to your friend would have been $480.00. You are lucky you passed on that one. You would have hated doing them for nothing.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 12:56pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhina0723

I have a friend who asked me to give her a quote for 10 mini cakes... to be used as her give-aways for her daughter's pageant night supporters...I told her $5/ mini cake.. She said it was a bit too high for her and will think about it. I feel like I know I made the right pricing for that, considering she is my friend ..

Your friend may have expected there would be no charge or only ingredient reimbursement. Since she was giving the cakes away...

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 12:26pm
post #14 of 25

I make mini cakes/smash cakes and charge $15-$18, and people are willing to pay that price.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisies

I make mini cakes/smash cakes and charge $15-$18, and people are willing to pay that price.

Sorry for going off topic but how big are those? icon_confused.gif I would charge $20-30 for a smash cake of 4"-6" inches. (With simple details)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 1:09am
post #16 of 25
Quote:

also, i dont understand why my friend didnt want to spend $5 for her daughter's supporters.

Because she's a cheapa$$

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 6:03am
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Because she's a cheapa$$

ROFL... heck... a kid's BDay "goody bag" costs more than that! Dodged a BIG bullet on this one.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 6:33am
post #18 of 25

Your Price is CRAZY LOW!! I'm getting ready to do 30, 5" smash cakes in buttercream with gumpaste decorations and they will be a minimum of $25 per cake. Decorative boxes, ribbons, cake boards plus ingredients and time??????????? I must say....I think you need to rethink your pricing!

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 6:35am
post #19 of 25
Quote:

Wow guys ! i appreciate your comments !
now i dont feel guilty that i gave her that price (it's actually a friendly price or let's say it's priced for a friend).
the quote was like that because i wanted to do it for experience too and when people saw how pretty the mini cakes will be , then by word of mouth, im pretty sure ill get some clients.
and i guess my friend didnt realize that.

anyway, thanks a lot . your inputs are highly appreciated.

Yes when people SEE what she got for $5 they are going to want the same thing for $5.
This is. the whole problem with FREE & DISCOUNTED cakes.. People are then conditioned that your talent ,time ,ingredients are worth nothing because they got it for little or nothing.

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 3:07pm
post #20 of 25

Very strange to not want to spend $5 each on pageant supporters, $50 total to say "thank you" is probably a drop in the bucket compared to what she spends on daughters hair/makeup/clothing and travel. Odd.

And I can totally see why you would want to do the cakes for so low, as long as she is willing to not say anything to folks at the pageant about the deal you gave her. It could very well be a great way to get your name out, especially packaged nicely with a professional business card. If your friend is asked how much the cakes cost, you could coach her to say "doesn't she do great work? She charges $20 each and has a $99 minimum order" (or however much your regular going rate would be). So if you are viewing this as a way to market yourself vs. an actual "job", it makes sense. Word of mouth is powerful, especially in the stage Mom world icon_wink.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 3:30pm
post #21 of 25

As others have said, if you look up pricing for the boxes, ribbons, cake boards and ingredients, $5 won't even cover your costs. If she isn't willing to spend even $5, then send her to Sam's, their cupcakes are $13 for 30, then she will still have to buy individual boxes. If you want to be nice, let her know about brp boxes, if now, let her know that AC Moore sells Wilton individual cupcake boxes (they are pricey). Bet she spends almost $5 each after all is done anyway. Packaging is expensive.

rhina0723 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 2:17am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeItGood

Very strange to not want to spend $5 each on pageant supporters, $50 total to say "thank you" is probably a drop in the bucket compared to what she spends on daughters hair/makeup/clothing and travel. Odd.

And I can totally see why you would want to do the cakes for so low, as long as she is willing to not say anything to folks at the pageant about the deal you gave her. It could very well be a great way to get your name out, especially packaged nicely with a professional business card. If your friend is asked how much the cakes cost, you could coach her to say "doesn't she do great work? She charges $20 each and has a $99 minimum order" (or however much your regular going rate would be). So if you are viewing this as a way to market yourself vs. an actual "job", it makes sense. Word of mouth is powerful, especially in the stage Mom world icon_wink.gif

this was actually the plan. i gave her the price and told her not to tell anybody how much the cakes were and i will make sure i have my business card on each box.
so yeah, one way to market my cakes.

she said she ll provide the boxes and ribbons (i reread her message and i saw this part ) and so that was the reason i decided to give her the $5 price.

also, it will be my way of showing support to her daughter.

well, i didnt know where she decided to buy the cakes (or i guess she settled for cupcakes instead) . im guessing she got them from either walmart or food lion icon_wink.gif

Overambitious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Overambitious Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 3:10pm
post #23 of 25

Hello - 

I am planning on making round  3x3" mini cakes (the plan is to cover the cake in buttercream and then wrap them in melted chocolate via acetate for a smooth covering) and then they need to travel to a party location and I will place them on the table for guests to take.  Can you suggest the best was to pack these cakes up and travel between locations?  I want to make sure they do not tip over or smoosh up against one another.  I was not planning on boxing them individually. They are for a birthday party and people will eat them on-site.   I am also not sure of the base they will sit upon - maybe those mini mono boards or I will just plate them when I get to the location.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

cakesbyzuly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyzuly Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:18pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overambitious 

Hello - 

I am planning on making round  3x3" mini cakes (the plan is to cover the cake in buttercream and then wrap them in melted chocolate via acetate for a smooth covering) and then they need to travel to a party location and I will place them on the table for guests to take.  Can you suggest the best was to pack these cakes up and travel between locations?  I want to make sure they do not tip over or smoosh up against one another.  I was not planning on boxing them individually. They are for a birthday party and people will eat them on-site.   I am also not sure of the base they will sit upon - maybe those mini mono boards or I will just plate them when I get to the location.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello

I haven't done any covered in melted chocolate, but I've covered them in fondant and put them individually in 4x4 circles and packed them in big cake boxes, side by side.  Since the circles are bigger than the mini cakes, they won't touch each other and will het fine to the location.  I hope this helps.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 1:10am
post #25 of 25

My five inch fondant covered cakes are $62.50 .SO for me the order would be priced at $625  However I do not turn my oven on for less than $90 .  $5 is way too low , I charge almost double that for a well decorated cupcake. So I definitely think your price is too low and I think you will find you will be virtually paying your friend to make cakes for her. 

edited because I can't do math on Saturdays. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%