Business Website

Decorating By HannahsMomi Updated 27 Feb 2012 , 10:51am by mistresslucille

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 4

So, those of you who have your own business website...did you create it yourself or hire someone to do it? I'm not sure if I'm capable of doing it myself, don't know a thing about doing it. I was just researching how much web designers get paid to design a site...YIKES! icon_eek.gif Maybe I just haven't found the right person yet?
Any input?

3 replies
mcaballero2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaballero2 Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 12:32am
post #2 of 4

I use fatcow.com. Many domain services have a website creator. They're not as elaborate as those creating by someone you hire but they're not bad either. Check them out and see if it's something you like.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 8:50am
post #3 of 4

I completely designed mine on graph paper with colored pencils down to the fonts and exact colors. I then found a graphic designer to create it into the website.

It was important to me to have a professional site, plus, a pro saved me a ton of money on the e-commerce part that would be difficult do for an amateur like me.

mistresslucille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistresslucille Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 10:51am
post #4 of 4

As I don't do cakes full time yet I didn't go with a proper professional site - I don't have money for advertising at the moment, so I definitely didn't have cash to pay someone to do mine! The only part I paid for was my logo, and that was a tiny amount because I happen to know a graphic designer.

I'm hosted by one.com (who are VERY cheap - first year is free if you don't need a huge amount of webspace) and I designed the website myself using Serif WebPlus 4. I think I got my copy from ebay or amazon or somewhere, I remember it wasn't very expensive. Even though it's really simple, I quite like having control over it myself so I can just update it whenever I need to. It's really easy to use too! I spent ages trying with programs like Wordpress etc. but I don't have a head for technology and couldn't figure it out. WebPlus made it all a looooooot easier!

I don't know how much experience you have with graphic design or websites, but if you want to see what sort of site is achievable with no graphic design background and only a very basic grasp of how the internet works, my website is www.cranberry-cakes.co.uk. You can obviously tell that it hasn't been designed by a professional, but it has all the info etc. that I need for a small business. It really depends on just how professional you need it to look icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%