Freezing A Fondant Cake

Decorating By MrsMcTasha Updated 24 Feb 2012 , 9:16pm by MrsMcTasha

MrsMcTasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMcTasha Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 1:22am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! I just finished a sponge bob cake (in fondant) and was wondering if I could freeze it. My customer doesn't want it until Sunday now and I won't have time to make another one (my husband is deploying and we are going out of town for some QTicon_smile.gif I've heard that they sweat when defrosting.

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 1:26am
post #2 of 7

I wouldnt freeze or refrigerate because fodant will sweat. You really shouldn't need to re-do for Sunday either, unless you have perishable fillings the cake should keep fine lightly covered in a cool room. I have decorated fondant cakes as far as 3 days prior to delivery with no problem whatsoever. The fondant seems to seal in moisture, so the cake will not be dry.

MrsMcTasha Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 2:01am
post #3 of 7

Thank you, AmysCakesNCandies!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 3:03am
post #4 of 7

I've frozen quite a few fully decorated, all fondant cake and I've never had a problem with them sweating. I use a large cake freezer bag to cover it and then put it in the fridge (still covered) to thaw for at least 12 hours. Then I remove the bag and continue to thaw in the fridge.

The only thing I could see presenting a problem is if you're in a very warm, humid climate.

However, if you're only looking at a three day timeline, I agree that you should be fine. We often eat our kids' birthday cakes well after the party day and they remain moist and delicious for a long time!

MrsMcTasha Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:31am
post #5 of 7

Thank you, cherrycakes!

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 7

I live in Alabama (high humidity) and i do not put fondant cakes even in the fridge. they sweat and look wet and sticky once removed. I do agree that the cake should be fine since it is covered with fondant it will keep the cake moist.

MrsMcTasha Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you, kweenofengland!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%