Any Realtors?? Looking To Become One.

Lounge By trishalynn0708 Updated 24 Dec 2012 , 7:16am by candyzhu

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 13

Was wondering if there were any Realtors or if anyone knows of anyone who sells Real Estate... I am looking to get my license but know nothing about real estate but think that I could benefit with it since I have small children at home and would not have to work every single day..

Was wondering if anyone knew of any pros or cons?? Or wanted to give me any suggestions... I have a meeting tonight at 4:30 to go over a few thing's with a family friend with sells real estate...

12 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 13

It's not a very good time to become a realtor right now...inventory across the US is at historic lows, and tightened lending standards are making it more difficult for buyers to qualify for loans.

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 13

I was thinking of that.. My husband and I were looking to purchase our own home about a year ago and in order for us to get a loan we would have had to put a whole bunch of money into the house to get it approved, but then there is no guarantee that when the house was appraised that it would pass, so there would have went thousands of dollars of our money.... I was thinking of that when I was talking with my husband over the weekend.. Thankfully we have purchased our own home in that time but there is just so many more cons I am seeing as I think about this new "adventure" in my life.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishalynn0708

I was thinking of that.. My husband and I were looking to purchase our own home about a year ago and in order for us to get a loan we would have had to put a whole bunch of money into the house to get it approved, but then there is no guarantee that when the house was appraised that it would pass, so there would have went thousands of dollars of our money....

Any reputable buyer's agent will include an appraisal contingency in the offer (unless it is an all-cash offer), this allows you to back out of the offer with a refund of your earnest deposit if you can't get a large enough loan due to a low appraisal.

I'm not a realtor but I have researched the field quite a bit since my wife and I are in the process of buying a house.

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 13

Hi.... I sold real estate for 12 years in Ohio. Just let me say if you want to make any money at it, it is NOT a part time job. However, if you are good with taking the lead and being professional, you CAN make money in any kind of market, including this one. The trick is to establish your self as someone who is honest, trustworthy and follows thru. You have to follow thru..... It can be very rewarding in terms of money. It is also something you can set your own hours, but it's usually a lot of night and weekend showings due to the fact the majority of buyers work during the day. The trick is to get listings...... then others will be working to sell for you. Also, be prepared to work at least 3 years before you truly start seeing your hard work pay off. Real estate is one of the best ways to be self employed as it has the least amount of up front costs. Good luck and go for it if it's in your heart. I enjoyed it.

enchantedcreations Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 13

One more thing..... it is a good time to get into real estate; all the lousy agents and part timers have fallen off by the way side. If you get going now and start getting your name out there... trust me you will be the one making the money when the market turns. And it will. I started selling when interest rates where double digits and I made $$$$$......

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 13

As someone from the other side (appraisals/mortgages) I can tell you that real estate is NOT a part-time occupation. And plan on phone calls every day of the week, all hours. However, the real estate procedures and paperwork required in Pennsylvania are much less than elsewhere.

If you do decide to go ahead, one piece of advice: know who is processing the loans for the lenders and make friends with them. They can do so much more than they're required to do and can make your life much easier. And they like cupcakes . . . . icon_wink.gif

enchantedcreations Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

As someone from the other side (appraisals/mortgages) I can tell you that real estate is NOT a part-time occupation. And plan on phone calls every day of the week, all hours. However, the real estate procedures and paperwork required in Pennsylvania are much less than elsewhere.

If you do decide to go ahead, one piece of advice: know who is processing the loans for the lenders and make friends with them. They can do so much more than they're required to do and can make your life much easier. And they like cupcakes . . . . icon_wink.gif

OMG.......the phone calls..............you'll be living with the phone to your ear. I hope your family is understanding! LOL

(have to set up boundries as well)

jason_kraft Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Plus these days, there are so many more short sales and REO properties the lenders will play a bigger role in transactions.

Commitment is definitely key. We are on our second realtor -- our first one was a part-time agent and didn't add a lot of value to the process from our perspective, but our current realtor is full-time, and she is committed, has a great relationships with local agents/banks/appraisers/inspectors/etc, and is very busy. If you are looking at this as a part-time thing you may be disappointed.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 9:53am
post #10 of 13

I am a realtor. It's not part-time and phone calls can come at the most inappropriate time but you want you client to feel special.

I once got a call at 3:00 AM from a client that purchased the day before and couldn't figure out how to turn the porch light off. I answered the phone (could have been a family emergency), I could not believe that they called me at that time. Geesh. He was an idiot through the whole process though.

I've also been called on Thanksgiving Day during dinner.

Your family has to understand that these things will happen if you want to make the money.

enchantedcreations Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 12:38pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

I am a realtor. It's not part-time and phone calls can come at the most inappropriate time but you want you client to feel special.

I once got a call at 3:00 AM from a client that purchased the day before and couldn't figure out how to turn the porch light off. I answered the phone (could have been a family emergency), I could not believe that they called me at that time. Geesh. He was an idiot through the whole process though.

I've also been called on Thanksgiving Day during dinner.

Your family has to understand that these things will happen if you want to make the money.

Yes, you are correct, calls come at all hours and you do have to treat and make sure each client feels special.

However, you also have to put this in prespective...... When I was doing "Family" functions, I would advise the client I was ready engaged in an "appointment". (and this is not lying..... you are on an appointment, just happens to be of a personal nature) Never told them it was regarding family as they do not want to hear you have a family. They want to be first on your list of priorities. Then they get the idea you're busy helping and they'll only want to work with you even more. They won't take this as a put off. You also have to control your clients. And by that I mean, manage your appointments so you aren't waiting on the phone to ring nor dropping what you are doing. Because, and believe me when I say, your family will not understand if you get up from the dinner table and miss the next 30 mins of family time or you miss your child kick a field goal because you were on the phone. This is no different than any other job. You can set your "hours".....

candyzhu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyzhu Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 7:16am
post #12 of 13

It's not a very good time to become a realtor right now.

candyzhu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyzhu Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 7:16am
post #13 of 13

It's not part-time and phone calls can come at the most inappropriate time but you want you client to feel special.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%