Sylvia Weinstock's Yellow Cake Made 2 Ways

Baking By dukeswalker Updated 24 Feb 2012 , 4:02am by scp1127

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 12:03am
post #1 of 8

I just made Sylvia Weinstock's Yellow Cake 2 times. 1st time I followed the directions as is - the 2nd time I did not separate the eggs & whip the egg whites (just dumped them in 1 by 1). I have to say the 2nd way was SO much easier and SO much butter! Not as fluffy but had a better crumb to it and looks like it will carve so much better.

just thought I would share...

7 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:11am
post #2 of 8

I don't like her recipe. I used a combo of her old and new recipe and although it was good, it wasn't my favorite.

I did steal her idea of adding a little ground ginger to yellow cakes and I love the added depth of flavor.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 2:25am
post #3 of 8

@dukes: I make her recipe this way too and agree about the crumb. I really like it.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 2:39am
post #4 of 8

I am soooo glad this came up!!! I'm all geared up to make her recipe -- I used to make it the "old" way (without the additional milk) and it tasted fantastic, but dried out something fierce after one day. Did you make it with the additional milk?

scp1127 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 6:20am
post #5 of 8

bob, I made the old recipe with the addition of 1/4 to 1/3 c milk and the ginger. My issue with the cake is that it shrinks, but only on the top because the bottom is held in place by the parchment. I have other recipes that call for whipping the whites and none do this. The cupcakes shrink horribly, pulling in the pleats or coming away from the tulip.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 8

Oh good! I'm going to try this -- stay tuned... icon_lol.gif

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 8

I do not get any shrinkage with this recipe. The cupcakes bake up even.

scp1127 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:02am
post #8 of 8

They are even but they are small compared to other recipes. I have too many recipes that are better than this one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%