Vegan Chocolate Cupcake Disaster...!

Baking By Dayti Updated 12 Apr 2013 , 12:00am by tdovewings

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 15

I tested a recipe for vegan chocolate cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World...I don't need it to be vegan, just eggless, so all I changed was the soy milk and used the same amount of cows milk. It was a DISASTER, hahahaha!!! I can't believe I messed this up!

This is the recipe (taken from http://www.chow.com/recipes/10794-basic-vegan-chocolate-cupcake):

1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.

Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).

Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

1st pic is what they looked like 9 minutes through baking time, 2nd pic is what they looked like when the timer went at 18 minutes...

Does anyone have any tips on this recipe, or a vegan (or just eggless) chocolate cake recipe that they have tried and tested, and preferably in weights, not volume measurements? I'm guessing I don't know how to fill 1/3 cup with oil, or something...icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks so much.

14 replies
klh82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klh82 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 15

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/4534/egg-free-chocolate-cake.aspx

I have tried and tested this with good results.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 15

Dayti, wow! what a mess, that would have had me cursing... This recipe is a version of the Wacky Cake, which has more flour. Just a guess, I would try the recipe again but add way more flour.

Dayti Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 15

I know!!! I felt like a real failure!! I couldn't stop laughing as I was taking the second photo, I have never seen something like that come out of my oven - or anyone's - in my life. The batter was REALLY liquid, so yes, I will try more flour. I'm also going to try the recipe that klh82 posted, although the lack of milk (it just uses water) is not very appealing to me.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 15

Nice cupcake liners. icon_wink.gif Sorry, I understand completely. I agree with Mimi - - lots more flour. Good luck.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 15

Chef Chloe was a winner on Cupcake Wars as a vegan baker. This is the recipe she won with:

http://chefchloe.com/sweets/chocolate-beer-cupcakes-with-irish-whiskey-buttercream.html

And here's another that isn't a pure chocolate cupcake.

http://chefchloe.com/sweets/chocolate-beer-cupcakes-with-irish-whiskey-buttercream.html

Dayti Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 12:04am
post #7 of 15

jgifford I was thinking about whisking up some cheesecake to fill them with!!

I'll try the chocolate stout recipe too. Thanks everyone!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 12:08am
post #8 of 15

Sorry, I just realized I gave you the same link twice in my post up above.
This is the vegan recipe Chef Chloe won Cupcake Wars with.

http://chefchloe.com/sweets/chocolate-strawberry-shortcake-cupcakes.html

Dayti Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 12:17am
post #9 of 15

Ah, thank you!

epaty25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
epaty25 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 10:14am
post #10 of 15

AI tried Martha Stewart vegan chocolate cupcake recipe and the cupcakes looked beautiful but were too dry. Baked the minimum time. Wondering if I overbaked them

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 15

I use this as my GO TO chocolate cake recipe...http://allrecipes.com/recipe/egg-free-dairy-free-nut-free-cake/Detail.aspx, minus the chocolate chips.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 15

epaty - definitely over baked. My recipe is exactly the same dukeswalkers which uses less 1/4 cup water than Martha's.

For cupcakes, 15-18 minutes max .. check the size of her cupcakes ... mine are 1/3 cup or 80ml volume

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:23am
post #13 of 15

I always use that exact same recipe (in the OP) and have really great results with it.  I have on occasion subbed the soy milk for cow's milk as well. I am wondering if you may have made a mistake in measuring the ingredients or swapped the soda for the powder when measuring?  The recipe as it is written through the mixing instructions is sound.  The batter is very runny and when I fill 2/3 full i get nice dome right out of oven that shrink down to a little hump.  I can also bake them in the larger wrappers for a bigger cupcake.  I have had some cupcake experiences from that book fail horribly, but I know that it usually is operator error on my part (usually me trying to tweak an ingredient). I usually give a recipe at least two tries before i discard it as a flop. 

epaty25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
epaty25 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 11:48pm
post #14 of 15

AThanks. I'll definitively give the recipe another try and bake them less time.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 12:00am
post #15 of 15

Whoa! Are you sure you didn't just make a mistake with the amounts. I've use that recipe many times, although I don't anymore. This looks like something I did once with a recipe, too little flour, used the wrong measuring spoon for baking soda, or too much liquid. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%