Black Fondant

Decorating By briloves2bake Updated 20 Feb 2012 , 6:55pm by cashley

briloves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briloves2bake Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 3:14am
post #1 of 12

im doing a black and white and cake. ive heard its hard to get a good black from home made mmf. pls help with any tips or ideas on how i can get a good black without buying it

11 replies
sandidev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandidev Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 3:35am
post #2 of 12

i found an excelent recipe for black,its easy and delicious! let me know if u are still looking for a recipe sandi

grandma425 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandma425 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 3:51am
post #3 of 12

I have used the True Black MMF by Jayde posted on this great site. It stays nice & black and is easy to work with. Keeps for a long time also, good especially for those projects that only need a touch of black! Good Luck!

shawnteel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawnteel Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 4:10am
post #4 of 12

I also use mmf. When I make black in large amounts, I add cocoa powder to the melted mm, then add your black coloring, then your powdered sugar.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 4:12am
post #5 of 12

I make black MMF all the time with no problem. I use americolor super black and add to melted marshmellows and you won't have a problem.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:10am
post #6 of 12

I also make black MMF often. I make mine by adding not only cocoa powder to the melted marshmallows but also 1 oz. of melted baker's chocolate (I have even added more than this to make a dark chocolate fondant for the road for my NASCAR cake). Then I add a bit of brown until the fondant is a nice brown color and then just enough black to make it dark brown. Let it rest overnight and then see what color it is the next day. Fondant often darkens as it rests and sometimes after it is applied. In any event, ease into the black. It takes time but is well worth the wait so that you do not taste the color and no one will get color on their mouths.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 12

I think as long as you add a bit of cocoa to the mmf and Americolour black you should be able to get a very nice colour. If you use Wilton black you can add an entire container of it and still end up with a light grey colouricon_smile.gif

briloves2bake Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 12

the problem with doing it at the melted stage is that i dont need a whole a batch of black i just need about a 1/4 of the batch. sandi i would love that receipe. were can i get the americolor cause i do only have the wiltons.

shawnteel Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 12

If you are only doing a little bit, I would just add the black color right into the already mixed batch.

briloves2bake Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 12

shawnteel ifi do that with the wiltons color do you think it will be black enough? my other thought that i just had was i could put some of the melted marshmellow aside and ad the chocolate and coloring to the smaller batch to make the black and the larger batch just keep the white... any thoughts?

shawnteel Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 12

I have also just added wilton brown, get it to a dark brown then add your black to that. I have a hard time finding the americolors where I live, so I usually just use the wilton colors. The marshmellow sets up to fast I think to be able to set some aside and do different colors that way. You could just make a smaller batch (maybe 2 cups instead of 4 cups) and color the smaller batch with your black.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 12

If I only need a little of a color I take a handful of marshmellows, tiny bit of water and microwave till soft. I then add my color then start adding powdered sugar till I get the right consistency I need. You should know how fondant should feel and by doing this you will only make a small amount. There are lots of places in Michigan to get Americolor I order from some of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%