Credit Fraud After Ordering From Online Retailer

Decorating By Spyderman Updated 6 Apr 2016 , 11:20pm by MissMona

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 2:20am
post #31 of 55

This is kind of scarey. I have orderd from them many times and never had this happen to me, at least not yet.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 2:26am
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

Jason - I only use the credit option on my debit card. I have plenty of credit for credit cards - just prefer to pay as I go. In my younger years, I got buried under credit card debt. Once I got out from under it, I have vowed to purchase what I have funds for.

I prefer to use charge cards to get a % of cash back. As long as you pay it off in full every month, I think it is worth it. Some of these cards have a $30.00-40.00 yearly fee, but with the amount that we spend we get alot more than that back. The key is to always pay it off in full every month. If you need to keep track of your cc spending, you could write the amounts in your checkbook so that you know that the money is already spent. This way when the bill comes in, you will have the funds available.
Again and I can't stress this enough, the key is to pay them off in full every month and don't charge more than you can afford every month.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:02am
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

I prefer to use charge cards to get a % of cash back. As long as you pay it off in full every month, I think it is worth it. Some of these cards have a $30.00-40.00 yearly fee, but with the amount that we spend we get alot more than that back.

Which charge card do you use? I was looking at Amex Plum (1.5% back if you pay within 10 days of your closing date) but the annual fee is $185 so that makes the b/e point above $3K monthly throughput vs. 1% cards with no annual fee.

I use Chase Ink Cash for Business (for all my personal expenses now that I sold my business), it has no annual fee and is non-tiered 1% flat, 2% gas/restaurants and 5% office supply/phone/cable. They have a charge card too (Ink Bold) but it's not much better.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:23am
post #34 of 55

I just had to get a new debit/credit card as I had some fraudulent charges on my account....funny thing, the perps did two $1.00 charges and then a charge for a credit report membership... I caught it and called Experian to let them know I hadn't signed up for their service....I also called my bank and let them know....they blocked my card, issued an immediate refund for the nsf charge this incurred and I had the fraudulent charge $ returned to my account by the next day. A new card was mailed to me and I received it w/in three days.

Kmm0880 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kmm0880 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:38am
post #35 of 55

Happy that I came across this! My credit card number was stolen TWO different times after I ordered from CK. I thought it was from those transactions but was not 100%. So now what, don't order from them? Its a real pain to cancel/change cards especially when you have things billed direct icon_twisted.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:40am
post #36 of 55

Some banks offer virtual credit card numbers that can only be used once, that might be an option.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=one+time+use+credit+card

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 11:02am
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Some banks offer virtual credit card numbers that can only be used once, that might be an option.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=one+time+use+credit+card

I was thinking about the as an option, because if this is happening to so many people through this company it's ridiculous. I'm going to call them today and ask if they can arrange for any other form of payment. I won't order from them again until I figure out what's up...

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 11:13am
post #38 of 55

ladij153 ~ That is exactly what happened to me! I had a pending charge for $1 to Experian. It finally disappeared and then when the this other charge happened my CC company caught it. I guess the $1 was just checking to see it it was a valid number.

I contacted CK Products yesterday because they are my main supplier. Never had a problem before and I don't want to have to stop ordering from them.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 12:24pm
post #39 of 55

I have been trying to order from CK for over a week. They will not return my calls or messages regarding the credit card issues. Did any of you have any response? I won't order from them without getting this resolved first, but I do REALLY need some supplies.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 12:37pm
post #40 of 55

I placed an order early this week. I called it in, explained that since they could not guarantee the security of my credit card I would not be using it. I also mentioned that many people were having identical problems. Interestingly, the person on the phone had NO comment, not even "sorry" or "we know and are working on it. Anyway, they gave me a total with shipping and I sent a check. Got my order a few days later. It looks like because I've been ordering for years, they went on and pulled the order and the day the check arrived, they shipped to me. Sending in the check added no more than 1 day to the process.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 1:08pm
post #41 of 55

OMG! I had the same thing happen to me! I only use my card for online purchases so I know it didn't go through a skimmer because I don't carry it. I thought it coming from PayPal because I order from places and use that. I have had 2 card #'s used in 2 months. The last time I found out when I needed to make an order and called it in instead of using the net. I used my other business debit card. Now I'm going to watch that like a hawk! I'm going to check into alternatives too. When I called and told the CS rep that I couldn't use the card on file (again) because someone just used my number, she told me that they had a lady in a fraud dept. if I thought it was a problem that came from there. I told her that I didn't know where it was coming from but I had a last minute order from a lady and I needed the stuff so I couldn't wait for the new card to come in. Nobody said that they were aware of a problem. Thanks OP for bringing this up. It has saved me some headaches trying to find out where it came from!

For the people questioning the 1.00 charges, they are pings to find out if they have a working number. They will disappear and then the real fun begins! I actually called one of the places that was on my card. It was for a wine company that ships gift baskets. They told me that the delivery did not go out and it even had a greeting card with it. They stopped the shipment. Another company "New Egg" had an order with my card number but wouldn't give me any information about it. They told me that they couldn't talk to me because it wasn't my order! Hello, it was my number that was paying for it!!!! Guess I won't be ordering my next laptop or tablet from them.

FullHouse Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 1:10pm
post #42 of 55

The initial person who took the call did say I could send a check, but that they wouldn't ship until my check cleared. I have been ordering from them for about 3 years, but probably on a smaller scale than you do, Leah. At that point, she transferred me to her supervisor, but I got voicemail, left a message and she has not returned my call. I also emailed with no response. This was all over a week ago. I don't have time to track them down to give them my business. Ugh.

costumeczar Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 5:14pm
post #43 of 55

Try cakedeco.com for basic stuff. they don't have everything that CK has but at least your card won't be stolen, and their customer service is really good. When the post office changed my zip code the ladies in the cake deco office called to make sure it was right because it didn't look right to them and they wanted to make sure!

FullHouse Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 5:36pm
post #44 of 55

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately a lot of what I need, Pheil & Holding doesn't have icon_sad.gif.

You would think CK would be going out of their way to correct this situation. I would imagine that they are seeing a decrease in sales right now.

costumeczar Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 5:55pm
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately a lot of what I need, Pheil & Holding doesn't have icon_sad.gif.

You would think CK would be going out of their way to correct this situation. I would imagine that they are seeing a decrease in sales right now.

What do you need? PM me and maybe I can send you some of it if I hav some.

FullHouse Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 7:56pm
post #46 of 55

Cara, That is incredibly generous! Thank you so much! I need a whole slew of things. Mostly, the supplies that can't wait are colored fondant and a bunch of 6" cake pans, I'll just make do with coloring my white and either order the pans elsewhere, or work with what I have. I hope they do get this figured out soon though. I do really appreciate your generousity.

costumeczar Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 8:08pm
post #47 of 55

Definitely check with cakedeco.com then. They have that stuff and they ship pretty quickly.

FullHouse Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 8:19pm
post #48 of 55

I'll have to look again, I must have missed the fondant on there. Thank you!!!!!!! You rock!

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 8:33pm
post #49 of 55

You may want to check if any of your credit cards offer virtual numbers. I like to use my Discover card when I order things online. They issue a virtual number that can only be used once. If someone tries to use it again, it won't go thru. Some other bank cards also offer this. Sad that no matter how careful you are these things, things like this still happen.

cakegirl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl123 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 9:00pm
post #50 of 55

I've had to cancel my card twice in the last couple of months. I am right now waiting for my new card to come in the mail. I emailed CK products asking how I could order safely and have not received any response. I checked into Bakery Crafts. They have no minimum and you get free shipping on orders over $125.00. I'm gonna try them for awhile.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 9:09pm
post #51 of 55

Cakegirl123: Bakery Craft is awesome to work with! They stand behind their products and are always willing to answer questions! The only downside I have had is that I buy the sanding sugars and pearls in the retail bottle sizes to sell to my customers. I can only get them in bulk there. There are also some things that I can't get there either, but I love the stuff that they do have!!!!!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 1:03am
post #52 of 55

I emailed CK last night and no response. However, I did get a sale flyer from them in my email today. LOL!!

I agree that you would think they would be looking for a solution or at least let their customers know they are aware. Not scoring any points with me right now!

In my email, I did mention that this was being discussed on Cake Central.

costumeczar Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 1:52am
post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzylynn58

I emailed CK last night and no response. However, I did get a sale flyer from them in my email today. LOL!!

I agree that you would think they would be looking for a solution or at least let their customers know they are aware. Not scoring any points with me right now!

In my email, I did mention that this was being discussed on Cake Central.

Well, I'm defintiely not going to order anything from them. I've had to replace my card twice in the last 6 months and that's enough.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 10:01am
post #54 of 55

Don't forget that the-supplier-that-shall-not-be-named has just about everything you could want to order. I know people here don't like them too much but I really haven't had too much trouble with them and it certainly would work in a pinch.

MissMona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMona Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 8:29pm
post #55 of 55

It is still happening.  To. This. Day.  4 years later?!?!  Anyone else still having this problem?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%