Air Bubbles And Duncan Hines

Baking By Mickig Updated 8 Nov 2012 , 1:02am by Jenn123

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 9

I have been using DH for years, but lately I have noticed that the yellow mix gets many, many air bubbles. I'm not doing anything differently and I follow the instructions on the box. Has anyone else noticed this? I have cut down the speed on my mixer from medium to low, but I'm thinking that I may have to mix by hand just to avoid the problem. I try banging the pans, popping the bubbles with a toothpick, pouring in the middle, pouring on the sides, you name it. Can anyone offer advice? I'm ready to quit Duncan Hines altogether.

8 replies
Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 9

Is this with the new 16.25 oz mixes? They reformulated them when they downsized, so I would imagine they put something in it to make it rise as much as it did before, thus all the bubbles.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 9

This is also making me crazy. I just got 20 cases of the French Vanilla and it is awful!!!! I tried banging, sifting, adding water, etc... Nothing works. I think they just mess up the formula sometimes or use bad ingredients. It is probably too much baking soda/powder. Any advice on fixing the problem???

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 9

I haven't seen the "new" DH cake mixes yet.

So those of you with the "new" mix, READ the fine print...if there is calcium "pyrophosphate" or "acid phosphate" listed in with the other chemicals, then you will get a normal second rise in the oven.

In general, to get rid of too much baking soda lift, you would add a tablespoon of vinegar, let the batter sit an hour, stir it.  It will then NOT have any first cold rise.  So please experiment with a teaspoon of vinegar.

I find that the "18.25 ounce" formulation of the yellow mix has too many bubbles. I have been baking cake for customers from scratch.  For myself, I have been using fruit puree instead of water and this gets me a moist cake without tunnels in it.

Jenn123 Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 9

WOW! Thanks. That is the best response to this question I have ever gotten. I'll give it a try.

BakingIrene Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 9

Please let me be very clear:

I said get rid of the LIFT--I should have added, from 1 teaspoon too much baking soda.

If you add tablespoons of baking soda instead of teaspoons, you still need to throw out the batter because it will be grossly salty.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 9

BakingIrene:  Out of curiosity, does the vinegar leave a taste with the batter?  Would white or cider be the one you choose?  What type of fruit puree would you recommend for a white cake that will not overpower?  I too am concerned with the holes that I get in the new boxed cake while I try out new recipes.  So far, I haven't found out that works for me.  I will be trying the one from ScratchSF's blog soon though!

BakingIrene Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 9

When the vinegar combines with baking soda, there is a slight salty taste but no sour taste.  Using cider or malt vinegar would be OK in a chocolate cake.

I use pureed canned pineapple or mandarin oranges using the full can of fruit and liquid.  Of course it tastes like the fruit...that's my personal preference.

You could use half water and half buttermilk for the mildest flavour that will match with even the white-white cake mixes.  It will make them taste a whole lot more like real cake...since the milk powder disappeared from the packaged formulas some time ago.

Jenn123 Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 1:02am
post #9 of 9

OK, after trying 8 different possibilities including vinegar, sifting, letting it sit various amounts of time, barely mixing it, etc..... I think I have something I can work with. The last thing I tried was to use the wisk on the kitchenaid and beat it on high for one and a half minutes. (No changes to recipe except increase mix speed and shorter time) When I tapped the pan on the counter, lots of bubbles immediately rose. It had a large bubble at completion of baking but it was barely noticeable compared to previous mixes. Tomorrow will be the true test when I make a large batch on my big mixer and fill larger pans. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!! Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%