Help, Newbie Needs Advice

Decorating By heavensgaits Updated 23 Jan 2007 , 3:03pm by cake-angel

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 7:55am
post #1 of 8

I want to start decorating cakes, but I'm not sure where to even begin. I really like the look and moldability(sp?) of fondant. I sometimes do very intricate woodburnings, so I'm very good with details. I'm just not sure where to begin with cakes. Should I actually bake some cakes and practice on them, or should I just play around with molding fondant figures. LOL, and then there's learning to decorate with bc using all those tips. I ordered the large(101piece) kit from Wiltons, and have several other tools on hand. There's just so much to learn and so much that I want to do with cake decorating, I'm just not sure where to start. I really like the realistic 3d cakes. That's what I ultimately want to be able to do, along with the very intricate lace designs that I see on wedding cakes. Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank you all so much for all of your wisdom and willingness to share on this site. I'm already addicted to it and have my best friend addicted as well. LOL, I've spent a small fortune in decorating and other kitchen utensils as well. It's a very addicting hobby.

7 replies
heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 7:57am
post #2 of 8

Oh, I forgot to say that any decorating classes available at Michaels are over an hour away from me. I'm gonna have to teach myself.

missy77510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy77510 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 8:16am
post #3 of 8

I am currently taking the Wilton classes at Micheals, after seeing the books the instructor gives us, I would say buy them they are self explanitory, you can usually find them on ebay along with the student kits for kinda cheap from previous students. I like the books because they have practice sheets that help you like 'trace' the design so you can get the hang of it. Their course 3 is fondant and the also just put out another course of fondant and gumpaste. I also bought a dvd from ebay called decorate your cake and eat it to. They also sell it on their website for like 10 dollars. On it they show how to make all the BC borders and RI flowers. They also show a few cakes. The one I have is older than the one they are selling on their site but it is pretty helpful because you can see how they hold the tips and flower nails. I also got the 101 tool kit from wilton and it has a lot of great stuff in it. Also pretty much anything you want to know the people on CC are very very helpful!

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 8:19am
post #4 of 8

You can get vidoes at your library or buy them from wilton.com. They are a visual for you that I personally need for learning . I went to the classes. But had to wait for enough people to do course 3 that I got the videos to practice. And of course CC is alot of help. So I would say ask ?? And explore the site. There are several tutorials here and on the wilton site. So you can see how to do something. There are alot of self taught decorators out there. And I am sure what they will tell you is this JUST PRACTICE when ever you can. Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 8

I just really started doing this like 4 months ago. I do have to say that the Wilton classes really gave me a "jump start". It was nice to be able to ask questions to the teacher. But I also agree that the books are self-explanatory. Just practise practise practise. Start baking and decorating and giving the cakes to family, friends, coworkers, etc... They can help critique your baking, etc..... GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 8

I agree that Wilton is a perfect way to start. Even if you cant take the classes, I dont know of any other book that has detailed instructions on the basic skills and flowers that wiltons course books have. Now I am not saying there arent a lot of other wonderful books out there, but most are for people with some experience. I think wilton will give you a great foundation to build from. CC is a wonderful resource! You will learn so many additional tips!

Edit: Also in my opinion and personal experience, dont try to take on too much too soon. Start easy and work your way up. Meaning I would make a basic cake, basic icing, basic decorations etc. I found everything overwhelming at first...all the baking, making the icing, icing the cake, decorating, CLEANING! But I very very quickly found cake decorating to be my passion and my niche. Now I do have to say that I have seen some people here make a two tier cake covered in fondant with decorations for their FIRST cake! I am in awe of people who take on a challenge like that. For me though I have found when I have tried too many new things at once, I am setting myself up for a disaster! Good luck which ever avenue you choose!

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 8

I am self taught and totallllllly understand your predicament. I would say, if you want to and have the time, make a cake and practice away. That is what I did and gave the cakes away, eventually I started to get orders and that gave me more practice. I play with fondant and modeling chocolate when ever possible. Start with what you are comfortable with. I personally like fondant cakes wayyyyy better than BC just because it is easier for me. I try and practive with BC but I feel i need someone to be there to show me. I would definately practice making BC smooth, cus that is important in both BC and Fondant cakes. if you need more specific instruction let us know and we will guide you as best we know how. Good luck, can't wait to hear how you do.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 8

There are some e books that have been talked about in the general forum. They have received good reviews.

Here is the link.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-71581.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%