Bubble Holes Using "the Mat" From Sweetwise.com???

Decorating By Krista512 Updated 5 Feb 2012 , 4:42am by CakeMan2Day

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 8

i got
the mat"" from sweetwise.com about a year ago. i havent used it in a while and only used it maybe 2 times before i had my son. I pulled it out yesterday and the fondant rolled fine BUT there are all these tinly little holes in my fondant while i am rolling it out. i cant put that on a cake it will not roll out smooth at all. is it my fondant or is it the mat or something im doing wrong???

i make my fondant using a large bag of marshmallows, 2 lbs of powdered sugar, 3 tbsp water and 1 tbsp of buttered vanilla flavoring

7 replies
dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 8

I have had the exact same issue - majorly sucks! No matter what I do I cannot get those bubbles to not happen.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 8

Have you tried kneading your fondant more? Are you using shortening on the mat?

Smokey5266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smokey5266 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 8

I have had the same problem. Apparently Sweetwise had upgraded the material. I didn't want to buy a new mat. Majorly disappointed!

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Have you tried kneading your fondant more? Are you using shortening on the mat?

Yes and yes... Then rubbed off most of the shortening, then tried adding more. Even when I did get it rolled out "good enough" for my family but NO WHERE NEAR good enough for a "real" cake I couldn't get it to pull off from the mat. Great idea. Great concept. Epic Failure.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 8

She (Sweetwise gal) used to have a video about this, but I haven't been able to find it lately. I also had the worst time with those blasted pock marks at first.

But just FYI, the more you use the Mat, the less it will happen until it doesn't happen at all.

But in the meantime, what you do is lift one side of the mat and sprinkle the littlest bit of powdered sugar on the fondant and rub it around, then replace the Mat and continue to roll it out. That side should no longer have those little air bubbles/pock marks.

HTH!

merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 12:50am
post #7 of 8

Maybe give Sweet Wise a call and let them know you are having this problem.

CakeMan2Day Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMan2Day Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 4:42am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateLS

She (Sweetwise gal) used to have a video about this, but I haven't been able to find it lately. I also had the worst time with those blasted pock marks at first.
HTH!

I had the same problem and I emailed Sweet Wise about it. They wrote right back and referred me to their video Care and Cleaning video at

. About half way through the video, the Sweet Wise girl suggests that you avoid lifting the mat away from the fondant which traps air and if you do trap air you can fix it by using a little powered sugar. Take a look at the video. It worked perfectly for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%