Flour-Based Frosting (Aka Red Velvet Frosting)

Decorating By deuceofcakes Updated 12 Mar 2012 , 6:45pm by TheSweetTreat

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 12:12am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a red velvet cake and want to use a flour based frosting instead of my usual cream cheese frosting. I have some fondant decorations I'd like to put on top. Does anyone know if you can put fondant decorations on the flour/roux based frosting, or will they melt, as this frosting isn't firm like a crusting buttercream or even SMBC. Thanks.

4 replies
flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 12:36am
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't think it would melt. Royal icing might be a problem but fondant should be fine.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 2:10am
post #3 of 5

I did a wedding cake with that frosting and the tiers were covered in fondant. There were no melting problems.

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 2:40am
post #4 of 5

Thanks - that's a help and great to know. I don't love American buttercreams as they're too sweet for me, so it is good to have another alternative besides SMBC and IMBC or ganache.

Would you have any issue with putting a gumpaste figurine directly on top of this icing (i.e., without fondant covering the cake)? This is a cake for a friend, not a client, and I was hoping to avoid covering the cake with fondant as I know the recipient is not fan of either fondant or cream cheese frosting (sigh, I love cream cheese frosting). I haven't used flour-thickened frosting before, and although I didn't think it would be a problem to use the figurine on it especially this time of year, the lack of crusting made me a little nervous.

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 5

I just made this frosting yesterday and piped it onto chocolate cupcakes. On top of each I put a small fondant rose decoration. They sat in place just fine and didn't seem to 'melt'. However, that was the first time I've ever used fondant decorations so I don't know what melting fondant really looks like. All I know is that I made them last night and this morning everything was just the way I left it icon_smile.gif

I have a pic if you want to see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%