Anyone Turn Down A Cake ...

Business By erin2345 Updated 4 Feb 2012 , 3:15pm by QTCakes1

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 16

... b/c you just don't feel like making it? Sometimes the clients want something on their cake that I think is dumb, or I can't do it, or I just don't want to do it! Like a cake with a figure of Harry Potter - easy enough, he is wearing a big cape thing, but while making this stupid thing I am cursing myself for agreeing to make the cake.

I would have turned it down, but I didn't know what to say? What do you say when you just don't want to make it?

15 replies
Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin2345

... but while making this stupid thing I am cursing myself for agreeing to make the cake.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

People often come with the strangest ideas.

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif price or booked

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 16

I'll tell ya, there are definitly a few cakes I wish I would have said no to! I'm not so shy now. I either let them know that I'm already booked (if that's the case) or that I'm simply not available that particular day.

Also, price can be a factor. If your cakes are priced appropriately, you'll have several clients who simply won't be interested after you've given them an estimate. Few are willing to pay my $3.50 - $4.00 per serving for a 10-15 person birthday cake.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 16

Following copyright law will automatically weed out some of them...for example, since Harry Potter is owned by J.K. Rowling either you or the customer would need written permission from her company before you could legally use her character on the cake.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 16

Price it to where it's worth doing. I don't like doing mini cakes. I price them high. I am now doing order an for them, but it's worth the money, so I don't mind. icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 2:27am
post #6 of 16

Just price it higher than you normally would. If she doesn't go for it then you're off the hook. If she does then at least you'll get paid for your pain.

the copyright excuse is good, too. icon_rolleyes.gif

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 3:50am
post #7 of 16

Cow chip cake......Hmmmm.....NO!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 16

I have a great bakery where I refer all cakes I either can't make or don't want to make.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Just price it higher than you normally would. If she doesn't go for it then you're off the hook. If she does then at least you'll get paid for your pain.

Ahh yes, the PITA fee.

Ha!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Following copyright law will automatically weed out some of them...for example, since Harry Potter is owned by J.K. Rowling either you or the customer would need written permission from her company before you could legally use her character on the cake.

I "get rid" of a LOT of orders this way. I try to look at it as having the other bakery pay my fine.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 16

Sorry..... I'm already fully booked that weekend. icon_wink.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Price it to where it's worth doing. I don't like doing mini cakes. I price them high. I am now doing order an for them, but it's worth the money, so I don't mind. icon_wink.gif

Sorry, I can't let this go by. I LOVE doing mini cakes so it's hard for me to comprehend. When you say you price them high, how high are they? And what size? Don't mean to seem nosey, but this blows my mind! icon_surprised.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 16

We also price mini cakes high, any cake smaller than an 8" round is priced the same as an 8" round (starting price $44).

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 8:47pm
post #14 of 16

Holy Cow! I'll bet that does discourage them. I would have a hard time charging that for 2-3 servings, but then I enjoy doing the small ones.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 2:08am
post #15 of 16

I turn down cakes for various reasons such as copyright issues, beyond my skill level, cake design too time consuming, fully booked with other orders, customer wants a lame/weird cake, or wants a flavor I don't offer( I like to fully test my recipes before offering them).

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:15pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Sorry, I can't let this go by. I LOVE doing mini cakes so it's hard for me to comprehend. When you say you price them high, how high are they? And what size? Don't mean to seem nosey, but this blows my mind! icon_surprised.gif

I do't like doing then, cause it is hard to smooth something so small or cover it in fondant, at least for me. They are aslo time consuming, I don't care how much I do them like an assembly line. I can assemble and cover a 16" in less then a quarter of the time it takes to do 3 minis. They are 3", round or square.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%