Different Flour Weight?

Baking By yupi Updated 10 Feb 2012 , 3:14pm by yupi

yupi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yupi Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:12am
post #1 of 9

Hi, I'm a newbie baker here. I want to ask about flour weight. Every recipe I've read used cup measurement for flour, so I used some online conversion websites to convert them to grams weight. Problem is, most websites say a cup of AP flour is 125gr, but I tried weighting my flour, and it's only 108gr per cup. I tried weighting a cup of sugar, and I got 200gr, the same weight as the online conversion website, so I guess my measuring cup is good to use.

So I want to ask, should I use 125gr of flour or 108gr of flour? Could it be that the flour in my country weights differently thus it's only 108gr per cup? Oh, and I used the spoon and level method. Thank you in advance for answering icon_smile.gif

8 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 9

I use the weight listed on the nutrition label and just multiply it out. I think its 4 grams per tsp., but double check just in case I'm misremembering, that may be the sugar weight. I wrote out the calculated weights on a sticky and keep that on my canister. I don't have it handy now, or I'd share my calculations.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 5:11am
post #3 of 9

yupi - where are you? and what volume cup are you using to measure your flour with ?

Generally speaking, online converters are US-based. The US measuring cup is based on 8 fl.oz or 236.5ml [240ml rounded].

1 cup [240ml] all-purpose = 4.2 ounces [120 grams] per cup.

Notes:
An Australia measuring cup is based on 250ml volume. It holds 150g plain flour.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 11:07am
post #4 of 9

It depends whether the flour is scooped, spooned or sifted. I measure my flour by spooning it in to the measuring cup unless the recipe call for sifted.
The chart I have for AP flour weighs as follows:
1 cup scooped = 4 ounces
1 cup spooned = 4.25oz
1 cup sifted = 5oz

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 9

1 c sifted should be the least weight, scooped the most.

I use charts used by master bakers at the top of the field. The ones on the web vary.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 9

Just checked. All-purpose four is 120g per cup. Cake flour (Swan's Down) is 112g per cup. Granulated sugar is 192g. per cup. Those measurements work perfectly for me.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 9

Here's what you do. Weigh your own, use an internet converter, whatever. Try the recipe. If you like the results, write down the weight you used (change your whole recipe into weights) and never look back at your cup measurements. If it needs to be adjusted up or down, do so. Your recipe will now perform the exact same way every time no matter how heavy handed you are with scooping that day icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 10:36am
post #8 of 9

What KoryAK said exactly....

Use something and stick with it. When I first started measuring, I used the chart that came with my scale. Later I realized that it was slightly off from the norm, but I had been baking and adjusting and the recipes worked.

Now I am converting to grams on intricate recipes. This is even more of an insurance policy for consistent baking.

Tip: Once I started weighing my whole eggs, yolks, and whites in grams vs counting eggs,my baking greatly improved. You will find discrepencies in these numbers too. You must pick a number and stick with it. This is where I look to the pros. For example, if they state 3 eggs and give grams too, you start to get a trend as to where the pros are on their weights.

yupi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yupi Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for the answers. I think I'll try baking some easier cake recipes using FullHouse's standard for now and see how it goes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%