How Much Do I Charge For Homemade Cupcakes?

Baking By CreativeGirl220 Updated 26 Jan 2012 , 10:34am by CreativeGirl220

CreativeGirl220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGirl220 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 5

I have a customer who placed an order for vanilla cupcakes and she wants two dozen. I told her $20 per dozen so I am getting paid $40 for 24 cupcakes. She changed the order by wanting a dozen red velvet cupcakes instead of all vanilla. The last minute change dosn't bother me but I am trying to make sure I get paid for my worth yet I don't want to over charge. I will keep the vanilla cupcakes at $20 but I plan to make red velvet from scratch. How much is a good price to charge for homemade red velvet cupcakes? I could do a box red velvet but I hate the way it taste.

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 5

This all depends on what things are going for in your area. I would charge between $2-$2.50 per cupcake, but that's just what things go for around here. I charge the same for scratch and doctored cakes/cupcakes, but I'm not sure what other people do. If someone requests a "premium" flavor (i.e., one that has liquor or other expensive ingredients in it), I charge a little more, but red velvet isn't on my list of premium flavors, since it costs about the same as my white, yellow and chocolate cakes to make. You might want to raise your prices in the future (or you might not, depending on what others in your area are charging), but for now I think you have to respect the price you quoted.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 5

Are you doing any type of topper? Cream cheese versus regular buttercream? If it costs you more to make the red vevet, then I would charge slightly more.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 5

You're right, Debbye27, I wan't thinking about any special frostings or decorations.

CreativeGirl220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGirl220 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 10:34am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbye27

Are you doing any type of topper? Cream cheese versus regular buttercream? If it costs you more to make the red vevet, then I would charge slightly more.

She doesn't want anything special just buttercream no toppers, nothing special.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%